International Students

Get the American College Experience

As an international student you are typically paired with American roommates to enhance the intercultural experience. One benefit that comes with on-campus living is housing during academic year breaks. If it is too expensive to head home, you’re welcome to stay on campus. You also will have a chance to experience the American culture by taking part in events in the hall and socializing with other residents in your building. When you stay with us, you will get a true college experience.

Housing Requirements

  • You are required to live on campus for one year (two semesters) unless you are age 21 by Aug. 31 or Jan. 15 of the semester you begin your studies at SUNY Cortland.
  • You will have a chance to prioritize your housing request using the online Housing Preference Form. We try our hardest to accommodate your preference, but you may be assigned to any of the halls listed.   
  • Housing during breaks is available.

Items Provided by the Campus

  • Some pots, pans, and kitchen items might be available at West Campus Apartments, but are not guaranteed.
  • Rooms and apartments are fully furnished.

What to Bring

Basic Residence Hall Information


  • All of the residence halls at SUNY Cortland are coed
    • Males and females reside in the same building
    • Males are assigned to the same room as other males; females are assigned to the same room as other females
    • Floors are coed
      • Some floors house males on one side and females on the opposite side
      • Some floors are coed by every other room
    • All gender housing is available by request
  • West Campus Apartments has male only, female only, and all gender apartments available
    • Male only: houses only male students in each single bedroom
    • Female only: houses female students in each single bedroom
    • All gender: houses male/female and other genders or gender identities in the same apartment — residents have their own bedroom and share the common spaces such as the living room, kitchen and bathroom

Leadership House Separate application and interview required to reside in the Leadership House

Break Housing

There are several breaks throughout the academic year that the residence halls will close and you will be unable to stay in your room. Break housing is available to all who complete the break housing form. If you are assigned to halls other than West Campus Apartments, the Leadership House or DeGroat Hall may need to move to a lounge or empty room in another residence hall during the break.

College Policies

  • The SUNY Cortland Room and Board License is the document that you will agree to abide by when fill out the new student Housing Preference Form. 
  • Additional policies are also listed in the Code of Student Conduct.
  • The alcohol drinking age in New York state is 21 years of age. Students under the age of 21 are not allowed to drink alcohol or to be in the presence of someone who is drinking alcohol.
  • SUNY Cortland is tobacco free meaning there is no use of tobacco products, including smoking, anywhere on the campus.


Contact Us

Residence Life and Housing
Van Hoesen Hall, Room B-33
Email: Residence Life and Housing
Phone: 607-753-4724
Fax: 607-753-5984
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Facebook_Icon_PNG Instagram_Icon_PNG