International Students

Break Housing Information

International students are permitted to remain on campus over breaks when the residence halls close for other students. You are required to sign up in advance for this housing by completing the break housing registration form in myRedDragon. If you live at West Campus Apartments, complete the West Campus Apartments registration form in myRedDragon.

The three breaks when campus residence halls close are

  • Thanksgiving Break
  • Winter Session Break
  • Spring Break


  • You must fill out a registration form for each break you require housing.
  • Due to the need to hire residence hall staff in advance, once you submit your break housing forms no refunds will be given even if you decide at a later date not to stay during the break.
  • Break housing assignments will not be determined until we know how many students require break housing.
  • Fitzgerald Hall, Randall Hall, Casey Tower and Smith Tower will be open for both athletes and international students during Winter Break only.

Temporary Reassignment to a Lounge

  • Residents outside DeGroat and West Campus Apartments might be required to move to a room or lounge in another hall.
  • If you are assigned to a lounge you will be provided with a bed, but will have to provide your own linens, blankets and pillows.
  • Lounge furniture will be moved out and the lounges will be set up as bedrooms for up to five students per lounge.
  • For your safety and security the lounges will remain locked and occupants will receive lounge keys.

West Campus Apartments residents

  • Can stay in their apartments without completing the Break Housing Registration Form. Please notify the RHD of your intentions to stay during any break period.
    • For Winter break, complete the registration form in myRedDragon if you plan to stay in your apartment.
  • Residents will be permitted to have an on campus student stay with them, with the following restrictions:
    • One guest per person
    • Hosts must have written permission from apartment-mates to have a guest
    • Keys will not be issued to guests; they must be accompanied by the host in order to enter the apartment
  • There is no bus service at West Campus over breaks.

Food and Residence Hall Policies

  • Students will not be able to use their current meal plans and will need to use cash should they find an on-campus dining facility open.
  • Students will be able to use their Connections account through ASC at the designated off-campus locations.
  • Students will also be informed of policy changes or additions in effect during the break housing period such as no alcohol, no guests, etc. before the break begins.

Please speak with your RHD or contact residence life and housing with any questions.

Contact Us

Residence Life and Housing
Van Hoesen Hall, Room B-33
Email: Residence Life and Housing
Phone: 607-753-4724
Fax: 607-753-5984
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Facebook_Icon_PNG Instagram_Icon_PNG