COVID-19 Safety Information

Understanding Your Credit Evaluation and Degree Audit

Transfer Credit Evaluation

For new students, your transfer credits will be officially evaluated after you pay your admissions deposit.  You will be notified via email that your evaluation is complete and that you can now access your Degree Works.  Your Degree Works worksheet audit displays how your transfer credit was accepted by SUNY Cortland as well as how your credit fulfills degree requirements in your program.  The audit is a multi-use academic tool that you will use for advisement and to track your academic progress to graduation. 

To access your Degree Works audit:

Class History and Transfer Course List

Class History will outline all your accepted transfer courses by term, including the source of the credit (transfer course and transfer college).  The Class History link can be found in the menu at the top of the worksheet.

Degree Works worksheet menu             Degree Works Class History

Class History list

It is important to review your transfer credit and request additional transcripts from colleges or testing sources for credit that may be missing from your Cortland record. 

Degree Works Worksheet

DW header

The header area of your Degree Works worksheet details your class year, degree, major and other academic information.  This is where you can view your total transfer credits and transfer degree, if earned.  Please note that your initial credit evaluation may not include your final semester of courses.  Remember to send a final transcript from your previous college that reflects your final grades, and your credit evaluation will be updated. 

Your initial GPA at Cortland will be a 0.0.  While credits transfer, your GPA will be calculated based solely on grades earned in Cortland courses.

Transfer Courses on Degree Works

All accepted transfer courses will appear with a grade of "T" for transfer. The transfer course information will appear below the Cortland course credit. 

completed course with transfer credit

If Cortland does not offer an equivalent course to the transfer course you completed, you may be awarded elective credit. It would appear with the corresponding course prefix (e.g. MAT for mathematics courses) with a course number of XX at the appropriate level (e.g. 3XX for a 300 level elective). Liberal Arts elective credit (e.g. LAS 1XX) or General Elective credit (e.g. GEN 2XX) may also be awarded.

XX transfer credit 

General Education and Transfer Credit

For students transferring from another SUNY college or university, a designation such as "CGE 102 Met: prior SUNY School" may appear for a specific GE category.  This designation verifies that you completed the general education category at your previous SUNY college. The grade is "M" for "met," and it will appear with 0 credits.  The corresponding course, along with the credits earned, will appear below in the "Additional GE Coursework" area.

GE block

GE additional course area

General Education Waivers

For students transferring in over 35 credits, two GE waivers are applied to categories 11 and 12.  The designation "CGE 1XX: Cortland GE Waiver" will appear.  For students transferring in between 20-34.5 credits, one GE Waiver will be applied to your record after consultation with your academic advisor and submission of the GE Waiver form

GE waivers

To learn more about your Degree Works:

Advisement and Transition
Memorial Library
Room A-111

Phone: 607-753-4726

Fax: 607-753-5593
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.