Signing Up for Orientation
Beginning in May, you can sign up for an Orientation session through your myRedDragon. You must have submitted your admissions deposit.
Follow these steps to sign up for an Orientation session:
- Select "Admissions" from the top header in myRedDragon.
- Locate the "Orientation" box on the right side of the page.
- Select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
- Complete all of the required fields, including providing information about any courses completed for which you received college credit (AP, IB, courses offered through local college). For specific information, review First-Year Students with College Credit.
PRE majors (undecided students): before signing up, review the Learning Community booklet and other Pre-major information. This will help you determine your preferences for your learning community options (required).
- Select your summer session date.
- Add information for family member(s) who will be joining you to attend Family Orientation. (Please note that Family Orientation is only available for the in-person Orientation sessions.)
- Pay for any family members ($60/person) and confirm your reservation.
After you have selected your summer session date, you will complete the online student resource and success modules to learn about:
- paying for college
- living on campus
- safety and community expectations
Specific dates for these sessions are determined by your major. In-person sessions will be two days beginning at 10 a.m. on the first day and ending at 2 p.m. on the second day. Online sessions are one-day from 12:30-6 p.m. During this time you will:
- learn about your major in a small group setting with a faculty member
- individually discuss your schedule with a faculty member (a specific time will be assigned to you)
- meet your Orientation Assistant and other new students in your major
- spend the night in a residence hall on campus (in-person program)
- learn about campus locations and resources (in-person program)
- get a preview of campus life (in-person program)
View draft of the in-person Orientation schedule.
You will select your specific date through the Orientation Sign Up process in myRedDragon.
For those students attending in-person Orientation, your family members are invited to attend our concurrent Family Orientation. Family Orientation will be from 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on the first day and then 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. the second day. You will eat lunch together on both days. A fee of $60 per family member covers the cost of the program, lunches and materials.
Lodging for families is available in Cortland or nearby areas. Dining and activities are also highlighted at Experience Cortland.
What to bring
- twin sheets, blanket/sleeping bag and pillow
- alarm clock/phone charger
- toiletries, shower shoes and towel
- fan or umbrella (depending on the weather)
- comfortable clothes
- sneakers/tennis shoes
- any documentation about college or AP credits you expect to transfer to SUNY Cortland
- energy and a positive attitude
All new students will arrive on campus and move into their assigned residence hall the week prior to classes starting. Welcome week activities will occur throughout the week. Schedule coming soon!
Details about the move-in process, including specific move-in dates and times, as well as your housing assignment will be available in myRedDragon beginning August 1.
The new student fee on your student bill covers the cost of orientation, advising and registration, your ID card, Student Planner and activities throughout Welcome Week.
Family members pay $60 per person for Family Orientation. This covers the cost of the two-day program, including lunches and materials.