Next Steps for New Graduate Students

Welcome to graduate school at SUNY Cortland!

You've paid your admission deposit — what now?

Consider if you need to complete the following next steps. They're designed to help with your orientation to SUNY Cortland.

Review and accept/decline your financial aid

Review and accept/decline your financial aid award letter through myRedDragon. You will be notified by the Financial Aid Office when your award letter is ready. For questions regarding your aid or student loans, call 607-753-4717 or email

Complete Student Health Service requirements

New graduate students must comply with Student Health Service requirements by July 1 or Dec. 1 (or as soon as possible after that for late admissions). Failure to provide Student Health Service with all of the required immunization and health forms in a timely manner may delay registration or result in administrative penalties including having a hold placed on your account.

Please note that you MUST submit your health forms and immunity requirements to Student Health Service as soon as possible. Submission of this material is in accordance with NYS Public Health Laws; course registration may be delayed until it is received. Please call Student Health Service at 607-753-4811 with any questions about the forms or requirements.

Become familiar with how to use myRedDragon

Once you have paid your admission deposit, you will have access to myRedDragon, SUNY Cortland’s online portal to many functions you’ll need to use as a student. There is always a link to myRedDragon at the top of each SUNY Cortland webpage, or visit the myRedDragon Login Page and bookmark it in your browser. If you have any trouble logging in, call The Help Center at 607-753-2500.

Access your email account

Once you have paid your admission deposit, you will be issued a email account that can be accessed through myRedDragon on the Home tab. Look for the Webmail link on the upper right. This is the method through which all official SUNY Cortland communication will be sent to you. You are expected to check your email on a regular basis. If you have any trouble accessing myRedDragon or your email account, call The Help Center at 607-753-2500, or stop at the desk in the Memorial Library. The Help Center can also assist you in setting up campus email directly to your cellphone.

Contact your academic advisor

Contact your academic advisor or graduate coordinator to review program requirements and determine what classes you should register for. The name and contact information for your academic advisor is located in Degree Works (see next step); you may also contact your department for details. If you have trouble reaching this person during summer hours you may also contact your program’s Graduate Coordinator or your department’s chair (contact information can be found on your department’s website). Please note that your Graduate Coordinator may also be your academic advisor.

Learn how to use your degree audit tool

All graduate students should be familiar with their individual degree audit. Your degree audit can be found on myRedDragon - Student Tab.

You will use Degree Works to track your degree progress. Learn how to use Degree Works.

Review the course schedule and register for classes

Once you know what classes to register for, consult the online Course Schedule to find specific course offering information.

Please note: You may disregard any reference to a Registration PIN – this is only applicable to undergraduate student registration.

You may also wish to view registration resources found on the Registrar's Office website.

Call the Registrar's Office if you have questions or problems with registration at 607-753-4702 or email

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are taking coursework on the SUNY Cortland campus, you MUST submit your health forms and immunity requirements to Student Health Service as soon as possible. Submission of this material is in accordance with NYS Public Health Laws and you may not register for courses until it is received. Please call Student Health Service at 607-753-4811 with any questions about the forms or requirements.

Order your textbooks

Visit The College Store for details on how to order your books online. You can even choose to rent your textbooks!

You may also purchase your textbooks from outside vendors. There is no requirement that you purchase through The College Store.

Review and pay your student bill via myRedDragon

You will receive an email stating that your bill is available. Visit Student Accounts for more information. The Student Accounts Office may be reached by calling 607-753-2313 or emailing

Submit final transcript for undergraduate degree to Graduate Admissions

Prior to the first day of classes, you will need to provide the Graduate Admissions Office with a final transcript showing conferral of your undergraduate degree. If you are currently a SUNY Cortland undergraduate student, the Registrar's Office will process the conferral of your degree and a transcript will not be necessary.

Submit initial teaching certificate

As soon as your initial teaching certificate is issued by New York state, please submit a copy from the TEACH system to your advisor or Graduate Coordinator. You may need to submit a Request for Change of Graduate Status form to have the “W” removed from your program code. Students in the Health and Modern Languages programs do not need to submit a Change of Status form. Check with your advisor or Graduate Coordinator if you have questions.

Watch for your Welcome Packet to arrive in the mail

Shortly before each semester, all new graduate students are sent a packet of resource information welcoming them to SUNY Cortland. This packet contains a Graduate Student Resource Guide highlighting key resources and offices on campus.

Visit the Graduate Student Support website

The Graduate Student Support website is designed for you. Here you will find links to may resources, including:

  • Academic policies
  • Degree Works information
  • A list of all graduate coordinators
  • Academic dates and deadlines
  • Research funding opportunities for graduate students
  • Transfer credit services for graduate students

Get your Cortland ID card

Your SUNY Cortland ID card is essential! Among its many uses:

  • Obtain materials and equipment on loan from Memorial Library
  • Put cash on your card and use it in vending machines, at on-campus dining facilities, and at many off-campus eateries
  • Print and copy documents on WEPA stations across campus
  • Show it upon check-in if you're using the facilities in the Student Life Center

To obtain your Cortland ID card, visit the Cortland Auxiliary Services Office on the first floor of Neubig Hall. Keep in mind that office hours vary during winter and summer sessions; it is advised that you call ahead to see if they are open (extended hours are offered at the beginning of each semester). Contact them at 607-753-2430.

Purchase your parking permit

You may purchase your parking permit onlineNo permit will be mailed or need to be picked up, the vehicle license plate(s) will be linked electronically to your permit.  For more information, please see the virtual permitting page. For details on types of permits and parking fees, visit the Parking Operations and Security Services Office, or call 607-753-4123.

Other steps you might consider taking

  • If you are a student with a disability, contact the Disability Resources Office for assistance.
  • Review your course schedule on myRedDragon prior to the start of the semester. Room changes may have occurred.
  • Submit your emergency contact information for SUNY NY-Alert – our campus emergency notification system.
  • Review the Code of Student Conduct. These policies apply to all students attending SUNY Cortland.
  • Review these Useful Links to student resources.
  • Contact Advisement and Transition if you have additional questions.

Best wishes as you pursue your education at SUNY Cortland!