Letters, Insurance Verification, Discounts

Special Letters of Standing or Expected Degree Letters

A FERPA release form is used when a student would like SUNY Cortland to release formal letters of standing of verifications of enrollment to third parties only where the National Student Clearinghouse data is not accepted, or when additional information is required. Common requests include, but are not limited to:

  • Letters to insurance companies for discounts or eligibility certification.

  • Letters to auto dealerships or loan companies for discounts.

  • Letters to loan companies, banks or originators to verify enrollment or begin/end deferment periods.

  • Letters to scholarship organizations or committees where verification is required.

You may download the FERPA release form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

Insurance Verifications and Good Student Discounts

If you are seeking a student status confirmation for insurance, you may utilize the online enrollment verification and/or the college transcript to verify eligibility. The National Student Clearinghouse is SUNY Cortland's authorized agent for providing degree and enrollment verifications. Please contact the National Student Clearinghouse (or verify directly at http://nscverifications.org/welcome-to-verification-services/), or call 703-742-4200.  In some rare cases, a company may require additional information that is not part of an Clearinghouse enrollment or degree verification.  In these cases, an in-house verification may be needed. Learn more about in-house verifications, and when they may be used.

Although most insurance companies require full-time enrollment and a 3.00 or "B" average, the requirements vary slightly between companies. In some cases, you may need to submit a form from your specific insurance company since it will specify the requirements for your good student discount.

Regrettably, Registrar's Office is unable to provide letters without a form or instructions from the issuing company. To request these verifications, the student must complete a FERPA Release, and include any required forms or instructions from the company to send information.

Data Verification for Scholarships, Funding or Benefits

In many cases different agencies, scholarship funds, award organizations or government benefits programs may ask you to provide verification of a degree, current enrolled program, your GPA, standing, or other information for specific or specialized forms or reports.  Please bring your official documents to Miller 223 for assistance, or call us at 607-753-4702 for assistance. Please note the following:

  • Students with specific questions or needs related to financial aid or any college-administered or supported scholarship should contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • Please contact  the Financial Aid Office or Student Accounts to verify financial information or funding sources.

  • Please contact the Student Conduct office to obtain disciplinary records or verification.

  • SUNY Cortland does not provide class ranking information, or publish official data for class rank.

  • Generally, agencies will require or will accept data from the National Student Clearinghouse, which you can access 24/7 via myRedDragon.

  • We cannot reproduce or provide workshop certificates.  Please use your transcript record to verify any workshops completed at SUNY Cortland.