Graduate Students

Graduate Student Continuous Enrollment

Once admitted, graduate students are expected to enroll in every fall and spring term until the completion of their degree; or if in a summer only program, they are expected to enroll in every summer until completion of their degree. Students may take a leave of absence and still be considered as maintaining continuous enrollment. 

Maintaining Continuous Enrollment

Students who will be away from the College for a major term (or a summer term in summer-only programs) must enroll in GRD 500 to maintain continuous enrollment.  Students may enroll in GRD 500 during the pre-registration period, during drop-add, and at the quarter term enrollment period.  This course is zero credit hours therefore no tuition costs are generated. Students may registered for GRD 500 online via myRedDragon.


  • Graduate students who have not maintained continuous enrollment must complete the graduate student reactivation petition to resume taking courses.  The reactivation petition does not require additional signatures or approval if you are in good standing, within the 5 year time limit, and you have enrolled in the last two major terms. Students who registered for GRD 500 do not need to reactivate.

  • Your record must be reviewed and approved by the Associate Dean and the Graduate Coordinator for your department only when any of the following apply:

    • you do not have satisfactory academic standing, you have been suspended or dismissed or
    • you have been away for three or more major terms (1.5 years) or
    • you have exceeded a five year limit on degree completion for the master's degree or 
    • you have exceeded a two year limit on completion of the CAS

  • Submit the graduate reactivation petition (PDF) to the SUNY Cortland Registrar's Office after receiving all required signatures.

Registrar's Office
SUNY Cortland
PO Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045-0900

  • When your record is reactivated, a registration time ticket will be assigned to you. Once you receive a ticket, you will be able to register for courses using myRedDragon.

Forms for Graduate Students

You will find all forms on our Forms and Documents page. There is a section there that has Forms for Graduate Study which contains forms specific to graduate students.


Information pertaining to registration may be found on our Registration page.  Our Registration Calendar page will provide you with dates that you can register.

Office Information

Registrar's Office
Miller Building Room 203
Phone: 607-753-4702
Fax: 607-753-2959

Office Hours

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Office opens at 10 a.m. on Thursdays to accommodate common meetings.

Contact Information and Staff