Veterans Affairs Resources

SUNY Cortland is proud to support the educational goals of our students and families who have served their country. The Student Accounts Office provides information and assistance with certification paperwork for Veterans Affairs educational benefits. All students eligible for VA Education Benefits must file application forms with the VA Certifying Official according to their specific situations.

Additional education benefits are available for eligible service members, veterans and their families. SUNY Cortland participates in the following programs: 

Federal Programs

Veterans Affairs Programs

  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website

  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP, Chapter 32)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Dependent Education Assistance Program (DEA, Chapter 35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607)
  • VOC Rehab

Please visit for information and application process. For the application process, please follow the instructions for VONAPP:

  • 22-1990 Application for VA Education benefits
  • 22-1990E Transfer of Benefit to a family member

Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA)

Each military service branch and component has its own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions. It is recommended that you speak with your chain of command and your certifying office for further guidance to request TA benefits.

Steps to apply for Tuition Assistance

  1. Speak with your education offer, career counselor, or benefits incentive specialist to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance. 
  2. Meet with your Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling in classes at SUNY Cortland.
  3. Log into your branch education portal and follow their process for enrolling and requesting TA. In general, eligible active duty Service members can receive TA at a rate of $250 per semester hour cap with an annual ceiling of $4,500. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program. TA benefits are a first-payer fund.
  4. Submit your approved TA request to the SUNY Cortland Student Accounts Office for processing.
  5. Student Accounts will process your approved TEA request and post the TA credit to your student account.
  6. Review myRedDragon to ensure your TA has been posted.

Please visit the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) website for service specific TA policies and procedures. 

New York State Programs

  • NYS Veterans Tuition Award
  • Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute (MERIT) Scholarship
  • NYS Regents Awards of Deceased or Disabled Veterans
  • Recruitment Incentive & Retention Program (RIRP)

For information related to NYS Programs, please visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) Military Corner. 

For assistance with general federal and NYS financial aid eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office. For assistance with federal and state VA educational programs, please contact the VA Certifying Official in the Student Accounts Office. 

VA Certifying Official: Matthew McKinney


New Students

What to send to SUNY Cortland’s VA Certifying Official:

  1. Copy of completed application for veterans education benefits
  2. Copy of member 4 DD-214 Release/Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable
  3. Copy of Kicker Program documentation, if applicable
  4. Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if you are in the Reserves
  5. Certificate of Eligibility — received once your eligibility is determined

Transfer Students

Students who had been receiving veterans benefits at another college must complete a Change Program/Place of Training form (online) to receive benefits at SUNY Cortland.

Continuing Students

Continuing Students are asked to contact the VA certifying official immediately when they have registered for classes, not only for fall and spring semesters, but also if they are planning on taking any Winter Session or Summer Session I or II classes as well.

Certification of Enrollment

The Certifying Official will send certification of enrollment to the VA each semester.

  • It is the student's responsibility to contact the Certifying Official once you are registered for a term.
  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Certifying Official in writing of any changes in degree program.
  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if withdrawing from or adding a course.
    • Bring a copy of your official withdrawal showing the date(s) of withdrawal to the Financial Aid Office.
  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Certifying Official if attending Winter or Summer Sessions.
  • It is the student's responsibility to sign in monthly to verify enrollment with the Certifying Official.

If you are chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607 you must complete enrollment certification with the VA each month that you qualify for benefits. This should be completed the last day of each month online at Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) or by phone at 877-823-2378.  Once enrollment certification is submitted the status of your payment can be checked by calling the New York state regional office at 888-442-4551.

Additional Resources

There are many resources available for students with veterans benefits. The following websites will assist you in locating these resources.

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator and select Cortland from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.

The SUNY Financial Aid Plan (FAP) will provide a more in-depth analysis and accurate picture of student cost once the student has filed their FAFSA, completed a SUNY application, and has been accepted by a campus.