The university seal is used only for diplomas, legal and official records, transcripts, any other legal agreements binding SUNY Cortland.
It also may be used for:
- Presidential communications, ceremonies and awards
- Academic ceremonies and awards
Permissible award items that use the university seal include certificates, medallions, pins, stoles, trophies and plaques. The seal may not be used on merchandise such as water bottles, koozies, flash drives, lanyards, etc.
If you have questions regarding usage or wish to obtain a high-resolution version of the seal, please contact the Marketing Office at 607-753-2519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consistent and proper use of the university seal is essential for ensuring the desired perception of SUNY Cortland. Likewise, the integrity of the SUNY Cortland brand diminishes when the university seal is incorrectly applied. The exact arrangement and proportion of the university seal must not be altered in any way.
Any variation or alteration, however small, is unacceptable.
Do not make any of the following changes to the university seal:
- Change the colors.
- Change the color of separate components of the seal.
- Use a white border to outline the mark on seal backgrounds.
- Rearrange the components, eliminate or use the components separately.
- Violate the clear space with text, images, or any other element.
- Fill the seal with a photograph or any other pattern or texture.
- Add elements.
- Modify, stretch or distort in any way.
- Rotate or turn.
- Add text.
- Place unapproved colored backgrounds.
- Add graphic effects.
- Change fonts.
- The university seal may be enlarged or reduced in size as required, as long as proportions remain intact.
- The minimum size of the university seal is 1 in.
- The university seal should be used only at a size that does not compromise quality and legibility.
(X = height of the torch without the flame)
- "Clear space" refers to the area surrounding the university seal that should be kept free from visual distraction.
- The university seal must not be crowded or overwhelmed by other elements.
- No graphic element or text of any kind should be placed within this clear space.
- The recommended clear space of the university seal is equal to the x-height of the torch in the university seal.
Official university colors — Cortland red, black and white — should be used to reproduce the seal.
Other acceptable color variations: Gold - PMS 871, Bronze - PMS 876, Silver - PMS 877, Copper - PMS 8023.
- Watermark on an official SUNY Cortland diploma or transcript
- Cover page graphic to a dual diploma agreement between SUNY Cortland and another institution
- Graphic on printed programs for Commencement, Honors Convocation, Transformations: A Student Research and Creativity Conference, Academic Convocation or on banners hanging at the ceremonies
- Plaques and certificates for presidential and academic awards
- As a logo on letterhead, stationery, business cards, merchandise or signage
- Graphic on promotional materials, plaques or displays for non-academic ceremonies