Off-Campus Housing

Start of year/term information relevant to students living off campus:

  • Construction continues along Main Street and has begun on Groton Avenue.  For now, the Groton Avenue construction is between Main Street and Homer Avenue.  Project will eventually extend down to Otter Creek.
    • Visit for updates (their Facebook site tends to be updated more frequently than website).
    • Businesses on Main Street are open.
  • City Parking Program 2023 - parking permits to be on a digital platform
    • Main Street residents will be directly impacted, need to be aware of new process and its parameters.
    • As of 8/14, not yet implemented and won't be ready by time students move in; Update pending.
  • Move-in tips for students living off campus - broken down into "Prior to Arrival" and "Upon Arrival"

Information to help tenants and neighbors have a positive experience: 

End of year/term information relevant to students living off campus:    

Additional resources for student tenants:  Living off campus presents both opportunities and challenges.  Below are
resources intended to help students navigate some of the more challenging ones.

  • Refer to the City of Cortland's Code Enforcement Division to learn about the city's "Rental Housing Law" as it pertains to student housing.  Or students can Report a Code Violation electronically.  If student tenants are faced with unsafe, unhealthy living conditions, they should immediately call the City of Cortland Code Enforcement Office at 607-753-1741.  Office hours are M-F between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.  If after hours, calls can be made to the City of Cortland Fire Department at 607-756-5612.
  • Student Government Association (SGA) provides SUNY Cortland students a one-time referral with a local attorney as a way to get free legal advice/guidance during both the Fall and Spring semesters.  This could include questions about leases, security deposits, and more.  Contact the SGA Office to set up an appointment (607-753-4816). 
  • Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections:  New York
  • A Guide to Small Claims in the NYS City, Town and Village Courts; Issued by the NYS Unified Court System

Information relevant to landlords:
          To have your rental properties included on the Fall 2024-Spring 2025 Off-Campus Housing List, read the Information Letter below and then complete/submit the Housing Registration Listing Form.  This list goes live on February 1, 2024 and will be updated on May 1, August 1, and November 1 each year.  All required materials need to be received two weeks prior to the posting date.

          Fall 2024 SUNY Cortland letter to landlords on our housing list - Pending
          2024-2025 Off-Campus Housing Information Letter
          2024-2025 Off-Campus Housing Registration Form       

Information relevant to students looking to move off-campus:
           Preparing to Move Off Campus PowerPoint (Completion/posting pending)
           Feel you are being discriminated against in obtaining suitable housing? 
                    In the City of Cortland:  Contact the Community Development Office at 753-1433 (Monday through Friday   
                              between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.)
                    In Cortland County:  Contact County Fair Housing Officer Dan Dineen at 607-753-5043 (Monday through
                              Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.)
           Off-Campus Living Booklet                 Has relevant information but also needs to be updated.

The Campus Activities and Corey Union Office provides a list of available inspected properties to students as a service to make the transition from on-campus living to off-campus living safer and a little bit easier. All the properties contained in this housing list have been inspected and found to be in compliance with local and state ordinances as they pertain to multiple residencies. 

Please Note: SUNY Cortland does not inspect, approve or supervise the premises described, and the university does not become a party to private landlord-prospective tenant matters. Information regarding the premises has been provided by the landlord and the university makes no guarantee to its veracity by inclusion of the premises on this list. You are encouraged to learn and understand all of your rights, responsibilities and protections afforded under the law before signing any rental agreement.

The  Fall 2024-Spring 2025 Off-Campus Housing List can be accessed by opening the following link:
          Fall 2024-Spring 2025 Off-Campus Housing List as of May 1, 2024.

This listing will updated on May 1, Aug. 1 and Nov. 1 each year.

To access the Off-Campus Housing List in the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Our office also keeps information about apartments that are available to sub-let from SUNY Cortland students. For students transferring to SUNY Cortland, this is a good option to obtain off-campus housing. If you have questions, would like a printed version of any of the housing lists, or would like to receive information and/or literature regarding moving off campus, please call our office at 607-753-2322 or visit us in Corey Union, Room 406 to get a copy of this list.   

Questions or concerns?  Contact the Campus Activities and Corey Union Office at 607-753-2322.

The CALS Lecture Grant program will be inactive for 2023-2024.