Scholarships Available to Cortland Students
SUNY Cortland awards thousands of dollars in Study Abroad Scholarships each year. These scholarship opportunities are available to SUNY Cortland students only. Scholarships are based on academic performance or academic performance and financial need.
For more specific information please go to Study Abroad Scholarships. Students must apply to a study abroad program before they are able to apply for a study abroad scholarship. Scholarships can be applied for within their online study abroad application.
Exchange Awards can be another opportunity for an affordable experience abroad. SUNY Cortland has partner agreements with several universities abroad. When these universities send students to study at SUNY Cortland for a semester, we are able to send a Cortland student to the partner university for a semester without incurring the overseas tuition. Depending on the partner university, this can result in significant savings for a Cortland student. Exchange awards vary from semester to semester. Please consult with a study abroad advisor to see if an exchange award is available for a particular program.
Be sure to submit all necessary scholarship application documents by published deadlines! Late scholarship and exchange award applications will not be considered.
Other Scholarship Opportunities for SUNY Cortland Students:
SUNY Cortland Continuing/Graduate Student Scholarships
Although not specifically targeted toward study abroad, these scholarships are available to all SUNY Cortland continuing and/or graduate students and can help off-set additional costs associated with a study abroad program. Students are encouraged to apply to any/all scholarships for which they meet the criteria set forth. Students that already receive non-study abroad Cortland scholarships will still be eligible to apply for study abroad scholarships. Note: Deadlines for these scholarships may differ from study abroad scholarship deadlines.
Outside Scholarships Available to Non-Cortland and Cortland Students
- Studyabroad.com: Study Abroad Scholarships
This website offers a listing of over 100 available study abroad scholarships.
- Boren Awards for International Study
Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and which are underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad for those students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.
- Gilman-McCain Scholarship
This new scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for dependents of active duty service members to study abroad or participate in internships abroad.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships
These scholarships are targeted toward economically disadvantaged students, first-generation, students with disabilities and ethnic and racial diverse students.
- Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarship
For students applying to study in Germany anytime between May 1, 2022 and April 20, 2023. Application deadline of March 1, 2022.
- Inclusive Ireland Scholarships 2021
Available to BIPOC students (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) who wish to study abroad at one of several universities in Ireland (including University College Cork) for the Fall 2021 semester. Deadline of April 1, 2021 to apply for a 3,000 Euro scholarship.
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
March 15, 2022 deadline for 2022 and 2023 study abroad programs.
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarships
Receive up to $5,000 towards a semester abroad. Application deadline of September 15 for Spring 2022 programs.
- INSIGHT Into Diversity Study Abroad Scholarships
A $2,000 scholarship is available for students from underrepresented backgrounds who would like to study abroad.
- The Watanabe Study Abroad Scholarship
A semester or academic year long scholarship for students studying abroad in Japan. Preferred applicants are students without international travel/study experience, and students who have been raised by a single parent or lost both parents.
- Bridging Foundation Scholarships (Japan)
For students studying in Japan for Fall 2022. $2,500 semester scholarships available. Deadline of May 1 for Fall 2022 programs.
- Asia Institute Study Abroad Scholarships
A number of scholarships are available for students interested in studying in Asia.
- Good Colleges Study Abroad Award
Must submit short essay for chance to win award of $2,000. Deadline of November 1 for Spring 2022 programs.
- Tortuga Backpacks $1,000 Study Abroad Scholarship
Deadline of April 15 for Fall 2022 programs and November 15 for Spring 2023 programs.
- UAS7 (Seven Universities of Applied Sciences)UAS7 offers hands-on experiences in laboratories, industry and courses that are project-based. Students have the possibility to choose between seven top locations in Germany and a wide range of applied fields. Apply for a Study Program (SP) for a study semester at a UAS7 campus or our Internship Program (IP) in which undergraduate and graduate students can utilize UAS7 research laboratories. Applicants are automatically considered for the UAS7 Travel Scholarship.
- Study Abroad in Turkey Scholarships for Minority Students
- College Scholarships for Asian/Pacific Islander Students
- Critical Language Summer Study Abroad Scholarship Program
- The French Embassy Gilman For France Study Abroad Scholarship
- Education New Zealand Study Abroad Scholarships
- IIE.Interactive Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
- Rotary International Peace Fellowships
- Fulbright Canada
- Institute of International Education Scholarships
- NAFSA Funding Resources for Students
A collection of scholarships and grants available to study abroad students. Must create account to view list.
- NAFSA Scholarships and Grants: Databases and Search Engines
A further list of scholarship opportunities for study abroad students.