Who Has to Live On Campus?
- If you entered SUNY Cortland in August 2020 as a freshman, including freshman transfers (0-25.5 credit hours) you have a freshman and sophomore year on-campus housing requirement
- Required to live on campus for four semesters; you must participate in RSP
- If you entered SUNY Cortland in January 2021 as a transfer (including current junior and sophomore transfers) you have a one year on-campus requirement.
- Required to live on campus for two semesters; you must participate in RSP
Students Not Returning
If you do not require on-campus housing next year for any reason (met requirement, withdrawing, transferring, internship, student teaching, etc.) complete the Release from Housing form for Fall 2021. Follow the same steps as the Fill Out Your RSP Form section.
Room Selection Process Timeline for 2021-2022
||Room selection process (RSP) form goes live; begin paying $150 RSP deposit
||Release from housing form goes live
||Housing accommodation medical documentation due by 4 p.m.
||RSP form and roommate group selection due by 11:59 p.m.
||View your selection time and processes
||Housing accommodation selection
||Special interest selection (21+, all gender, graduate)
||Regular selection begins
||Occupancy restriction is lifted for all remaining rooms
||Last day to select your room
||Pay $150 RSP deposit by 4 p.m.
||Room Change Days and Wait List selection (more information, including dates, will sent to participants via email)
Drop-in Sessions for RSP
Have questions about where to live next year? Need assistance with the housing portal? Join us for one of our daily RSP help sessions.
Information Meetings for RSP 2021-2022
||Information Session #1
||Information Session #2
||Information Session #3
Students can register for one of the RSP information meetings via our registration form. Registration for each event will close one full business day prior to the meeting.
Freshmen and new transfers are highly encouraged to attend the scheduled information meetings regarding room selection process (RSP). If you cannot attend a general session, then your hall staff may be able to assist you with questions. Contact your hall staff for more information today.
Did you miss a RSP Information Meeting? Need to look at the PowerPoint? Download the 2021-2022 RSP PowerPoint (PDF).
RSP How To:
Access The Housing Portal
All housing processes will take place from The Housing Portal via myRedDragon. To access anything housing-related, complete the following steps:
- Log in to your myRedDragon.
- Select the “Student” tab.
- Under Residence Life and Housing select “Housing Process and Information.”
- Select Forms.
- Choose "Room Selection Process Form."
- If you are not living on campus next year, choose the "Release From Housing for Fall 2021" form.
- Complete Personal Information: contains the roommate matching questionnaire and housing questions; once done, click Continue.
- Review the confirmation page.
Complete Your Roommate Profile (optional) (view screenshots)
- Choose "Set Up Roommate Profile" and then "Roommate Profile."
- To allow others to search for you in the advanced roommate search, keep your profile public; otherwise, make it private.
- Set up your contact preferences.
- Complete My Profile using the guidelines; profiles must not contain language that is discriminatory or harassing in any nature.
Form Your Roommate Group (optional) (view screenshots)
Students participating in RSP are no longer required to have a roommate to select prior to the occupancy restriction being lifted. The housing selection process has been divided into two different tracks to accommodate all participants. Housing tracks will lock after the April 12 roommate deadline. Students looking to change/remove their roommate matches will need to wait until the occupancy restriction has been lifted.
- SUNY Cortland Red Track
- All rooms and suites in this housing selection track must be filled to meet the set occupancy requirements.
- Example: to select a suite, you must have a roommate group size that matches the suite occupancy capacity.
- IMPORTANT: Suites, quads and apartments have limited availability. Though you may have the appropriate group size to fill a suite as outlined above, there may no longer be any available. More than half of current freshmen will be unable to select a suite, quad or apartment.
- All roommate groups should make backup plans for your 2021-2022 housing prior to your selection time.
- If you're looking to add roommates, utilize the Advanced Roommate Search in the housing portal or visit the SUNY Cortland RSP Roommate Finder Facebook group.
- SUNY Cortland White Track
- Selection process for students without roommate requests. Students are able to request roommates until 11:59 p.m. on April 12, 2021.
- Important: only students without roommates will be eligible for this housing selection track. Students with roommate requests will not be eligible to select rooms in this housing selection.
- Rooms and suites available in this track do not have a set occupancy requirement.
- Example: to select a bed space in a suite, you do not need a roommate group size that matches the suite occupancy capacity.
Choosing a roommate/roommates in the housing portal:
- Choose "Housing Information" and select "Roommates/Suitemates."
- Select a roommate:
- Know who you want to live with? Search with their name in the simple roommate search.
- Not sure who you want to live with? Complete the advanced roommate search and join our RSP Facebook group to find someone.
- Send a request to the person(s) you want to live with. They will need to accept or decline.
- Accept or decline roommate requests sent to you.
- Continue with these steps until you have the desired number in your group (up to a total of six individuals.)
- On the main page of The Housing Portal, scroll down to see the selection processes you are eligible for.
- Each process will display a start date and time. This is when you will be able to choose your room.
- If you are selecting with at least one other individual, the person with the earlier selection time can choose for all in the roommate group.
- Select "Select a Room/Suite."
- If you are in more than one process, you will choose the process you want to choose a room from.
- Search for a room.
- Select "Select Room" or "Select Suite."
- Assign all individuals in your group to the beds and/or rooms.
- Select "I Agree- submit my room selection."
- Confirm your housing by viewing your assignment for Fall 2021 on the main page.
It is possible that someone else may choose your room/suite as you are selecting. If this happens, you will receive a message that this has happened. Search for another room.
For students looking to swap a space for another within an apartment/quad/suite, email the RSP@cortland.edu email account. Room switches will not be offered during the 2021-2022 selection.
The Residence Life and Housing Office will again be offering a room change days process in early June (tentatively June 8-11). More information will be shared with RSP participants later in the spring semester.
Pay Your Room Deposit
Pay one of two ways:
- At Student Accounts, Miller Building, Room 323, between 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- With your Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card on myRedDragon
*Student staff members, EOP students, and C.U.R.E. students will receive a room deposit waiver. Waivers will be processed by the residence life and housing staff.
- Under the Student Tab and the Residence Life and Housing section choose "Pay Room Deposit Online"