Fraternities and sororities are recognized by SUNY Cortland through the Campus Activities and Corey Union Office. Recognition allows chapters to have a relationship with the university along with active membership and involvement in the Greek system and its governing boards. In order to be recognized by SUNY Cortland, all fraternities and/or sororities must be associated with a National fraternal organization. Local sorority Nu Sigma Chi was grandfathered in when this requirement was put in place.
Sept. 19-22: Tabling from 11 am to 1 pm outside Corey Union (or inside, across from Union Station if rains)
Stop by and sign our anti-hazing petition, pick up a button, etc.
Tabling being done by sisters of Alpha Phi, Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Delta Tau
Sept. 21: Hazing: The Snowball Effect presentation by Theta Chi Fraternity at 5 pm, Sperry, Room 205
COVID-19 protocols for Fall 2022 are ever-changing and will be outlined on the school's COVID-19 safety information website. All requirements specific to Greek life have been removed although it is still recommended to take attendance and hold on to that list for at least 10 days after any activity.
1. Must be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled at SUNY Cortland;
a. Nu Sigma Chi and Alpha Phi Omega both accept graduate members
2. Cannot be on either Academic Probation or Academic Warning;
3. Cannot be a first semester, first year student:
4. Must have successfully completed the necessary number of credit hours (12 for continuing students and 24 post-high school credit hours for incoming transfer students). The 12 credit hours for continuing students must have been completed at SUNY Cortland.
5. Must have the necessary cumulative GPA (Minimum required by each organization for continuing students and 2.5 for incoming transfer students). Specifics for each organization are provided in the most current Greek Life Brochure. Incoming transfer students must provide a copy of their transcript(s) to the Campus Activities Office for verification (unofficial copies are accepted). Academic eligibility is reviewed by the school's Associate Director for Campus Activities and Greek Affairs.
An 'Accessing Your Transcript' procedural document has been created to assist incoming transfer students get the needed transcript(s) to the correct person.
Keep in mind: Any student(s) interested in bringing an additional Greek organization to campus needs to speak with the school's Associate Director for Campus Activities and Greek Affairs, Sandra Wohlleber.
There are groups of students that call themselves a fraternity (or a sorority) when in reality they are neither. They are simply using Greek letters to try and legitimize their presence. None of these groups are recognized by the university and none of them are connected to a legitimate National fraternity (or sorority). These groups are unrecognized and in some cases, banned, from having a presence at SUNY Cortland.
These groups are not actual fraternities (or sororities) and have no University oversight. Students should not put themselves at risk by "joining" or "associating" with these groups. Doing so would put a student in violation of SUNY Cortland's Student Code of Conduct. Recognized student organizations would also be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct if they chose to host, co-host or otherwise interact with an underground group and would put the future of their recognized organization at risk.
Underground groups are listed below along with their nicknames. All are male with one exception.
It should be noted that Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is no longer recognized at SUNY Cortland. The earliest that the fraternity could return to campus would be 2023-2024 and only if there has been no indication of an underground presence in the interim.
For more information regarding fraternity/sorority life see the most recent Greek Life brochure and its Insert or contact Sandra Wohlleber, Associate Director, Campus Activities and Greek Affairs. 607-753-5574 or Sandra.Wohlleber@cortland.edu
Greek Programming in Residence Halls - Procedure (Not currently permitted due to ongoing pandemic)
Fall 2022 Recruitment Schedules
Spring 2023 Panhellenic Recruitment Rules - Pending
Spring 2023 Panhellenic Recruitment Brochure - Pending
Recruitment Counselor Application for Spring 2023 - Pending