Check-out information for students not returning for Spring 2020
If you decide over the winter break that you are not returning to SUNY Cortland for the Spring 2020 semester (including if you are academically dismissed/suspended), you must check out of your room on the following dates:
- Sun., Jan. 19 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Mon., Jan. 20 from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Tues., Jan. 21 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
You must call Residence Life and Housing if you cannot check out during these dates and times or if you have already removed your belongings from your room. To avoid a $25 improper closing charge, check out with a staff member or at Residence Life and Housing after you have removed all of your belongings and cleaned your room. Check out will involve signing your RCR and turning in your room key.
If you do not remove your belongings, college staff will pack them and put them in storage. You will also receive a pro-rated spring room charge if you do not remove your belongings and check out by Tues., Jan. 21 at 1 p.m. The minimum charge for late check-out for a double room is $186.00.
Moving Out of Your Room? How To Check Out at the End of the Semester:
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Pay your $150 RSP deposit if you are living on campus next year (by 4 p.m. on May 1)
- By May 5, complete the closing sign out and checkout selection form with your RA to indicate your checkout method: Express Checkout or RHD Damage Assessment appointment
- If you have any damages in your room you should sign up for an RHD Damage Assessment
- If you opt to do an express checkout, you waive your right to appeal any damage charges
- By May 5, see your RA or RHD to sign up for an RHD Damage Assessment if that is the checkout method you choose
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows, and furniture (including any sticky residue).
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted, and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers, and closets of all items; wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Follow these closing procedures for any common areas in your suite, quad or apartment.
- Change your address with all senders to continue receiving mail after you check out, including for over the summer and next academic year; all mail received will be returned to sender. Contact ASC staff for questions pertaining to mail. Mail will not be forwarded.
- Complete the express checkout process OR meet your RHD for the closing assessment appointment you signed up for (meet your RHD at their office)
- Failure to turn in your room key at checkout will result in a $75 charge for a lock change.
- If you do not complete an express checkout or have an RHD damage assessment appointment you will be charged for an improper check out ($25).
- If you lost your key and plan to do an express checkout, still complete the envelope, indicate you lost your key and turn in your envelope to your mailbox; failure to not turn in your express checkout envelope will result in an improper check out charge of $25.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
- Closing assessment charges for fall 2019:
- View on myRedDragon after January 7.
- Appeal (payment due first) by January 31.
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.