It is the responsibility of faculty to provide test accommodations at SUNY Cortland. That said, there are many times when faculty are unable to provide a necessary test accommodation. In these cases, students may schedule exams with Disability Resources through our Test Administration Service (TAS). These are the steps students should take if they wish to use their test accommodations. Please note that Disability Resources only administers exams for students who have affiliated with our office.
- Talk to your instructor. After you release your access plan to your instructor, be sure to follow it up with an email or face-to-face conversation about the best place for you to take your exams. Please note that tests at TAS must begin no earlier than 8 a.m. and must finish by 4 p.m. Exams scheduled in late afternoon and evening classes outside of these times may be taken at TAS during regular business hours.
- If you are taking exams with your instructor, you’re done! Congratulations! Remember that Disability Resources is available for test accommodations for you in the future if your instructor’s accommodations are not working out. In such cases, it is important to have a conversation with your instructor about this first.
- If you and your instructor decide you should take your exams with Disability Resources, it is the student’s responsibility to schedule the exam in our Test Administration Scheduling Service (TASS). Here's how to use the system (.DOC). If you prefer a video tutorial, you may watch a summary of the system, how to submit a request to take an exam with TAS, and how to view all of your requests.
- Students should request to take exams at the same time as the rest of the class unless (1) any part of the exam is outside of business hours or (2) extended time would require missing another class.
- If you wish to be certain you can take your exam with Disability Resources, schedule the exam at least 5 business days in advance. If you request to take an exam with fewer days’ notice, it is possible we may be unavailable. Once it is 24 hours before your exam time (or 72 hours before a Monday exam), you may not use the online scheduling system.
- You may schedule all of your exams at the beginning of the semester to ensure you have given enough notice. If an exam date or time is later changed, please cancel the request in the system and make a new request.
- To finalize your request, your instructor must approve it in the system. If you have not made your request at least 5 business days in advance, Disability Resources will have to approve it as well. You will receive email notification when your requests have been approved. If your exam date is nearing and you still have not received approval, please contact your instructor and/or TAS.
- Finally, be sure to show up at TAS for your exam on time!
Jeremy Zhe-Heimerman, Assistant Director, Disability Resources
Fahima Aqtar, Graduate Assistant, Disability Resources
Erika Janny, Graduate Assistant, Disability Resources
Memorial Library, B-204