SES for Students

Student Employment Eligibility

  • Must be a currently enrolled SUNY Cortland student at half time (6 credit hours) or more in the semester of employment

  • SUNY school or New York community college (winter and summer break employment requires proof of current or upcoming semester registration)
  • Verification of authorization to work in the United States. Please note that before a hired student can be added to a work roster, they must complete employment paperwork, including an I-9 Form. For the I-9, students must present original identification, e.g. a valid passport or Visa if applicable OR an approved photo ID AND an original social security card or original birth certificate.

On-Campus Student Jobs

  • To view paid, on-campus positions please visit the On-Campus Jobs System and select ‘Student’
  • To apply for on-campus posted positions, select ‘Create Account’ and complete the required fields. Once your account is created you may proceed with the positions you are interested in. * Not every department requires the same application material. Review the job ahead of time.

Off-Campus Jobs

  • To view and apply for any off-campus opportunities, including part-time jobs, volunteer, and internship experiences, visit Handshake. To access your account, log in with your current MyRedDragon credentials.
  • For assistance with Handshake, including additional features such as profile building, appointment scheduling, or event registration, contact Career Services at 607-753-4715.

Student Success Tips

  • Be prepared: Have a current and edited resume/cover letter: Visit Career Services during drop-in hours Monday through Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. during the academic semester with a draft of your resume for review.
  • Follow-up appropriately on job opportunities.
  • Review basic interview questions before an interview.

How SES Can Help

  • One-on-one assistance with job search processes.
  • Job application platform training (Handshake and PeopleAdmin).
  • Preparation and support for a variety of job-related situations.
  • Student Employment Paperwork processing: I-9 verification form, federal and state tax withholding forms, NYS Retirement Election Form (optional).

Student FAQs

How many hours can I work?

Up to but not exceeding 20 hours during the academic year and up to but not exceeding 29 hours during winter and summer breaks. You may not exceed the hour requirement, even if holding multiple on-campus jobs.

What paperwork is required for me to work on-campus?

When students are hired to work in a Student Assistant role they are required to complete an I-9 form and federal and state tax withholding forms. As an option, they may also complete a NYS retirement enrollment form. *For students wishing to enroll in Direct Deposit, they should complete and return the Direct Deposit form to the Payroll Office.

Can I have a copy of my IDs for my I-9 faxed or emailed?

No. For verification to be legal, a student employment services representative must see your original, unexpired IDs at the time you complete paperwork. For additional questions regarding regulations and compliance please contact the Student Employment Coordinator at 607-753-4517 or 

Why do I need to complete an I-9?

SUNY Cortland is required to verify the identity and employment authorization for all employees including students. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services uses Form I-9 as the eligibility verification document. For details on allowable documents please visit the USCIS I9 page.

What is the difference between Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Non-Work-Study?

Work-Study is a federal financial aid award program that pays students wages for part-time employment during the academic year. This award is determined by the completion of a FAFSA form. Non-Work-Study are on-campus jobs that are paid by the hiring department, grants, or other funding. Both are paid hourly; however, the hours a student works for a FWS position is determined by the amount of their award and the hours of a non FWS job is determined by the department and their funding. Neither allow for a student to work more than 20 hours per week inclusive of all jobs obtained.

Can you help me with Federal Work-Study information?

All federal work-study processing and opportunities are handled through the Financial Aid Office, or 607-753-4717.

Can I have multiple on-campus jobs?

Yes. As long as you do not exceed the maximum allowable hours inclusive of all jobs (20 hours per week during the academic year).

Can I have a Work-Study and a Non-Work-Study job in the same semester?

Yes. Check your hour allocation for the Federal Work-Study position to ensure the combined positions do not exceed the hour requirement.

Contact Us:

  • Visit Student Employment Services in Career Services, Van Hoesen Hall, Room B-5
  • Student Employment Services: 607-753-2223,
  • Student Employment Coordinator: 607-753-4715, Taylor Lynch

Contact Student Employment Services

Career Services

Van Hoesen Hall, Room B-5
Phone: 607-753-2223
Fax: 607-753-2937