New International Undergraduate Student On-Campus Housing Information

As a new international undergraduate student, you will choose from Degroat Hall, Fitzgerald Hall or West Campus Apartments.   

Housing during breaks is available for Thanksgiving Break, Winter Session Break, and Spring Break. International students must notify Residence Life and Housing in advance if they require break housing.  Thanksgiving and Spring Break housing does not require a fee; Winter Break housing, which is available to students continuing in the spring, requires a fee of $10 per night, except for students assigned to West Campus Apartments.  Students will receive notification of the procedure and deadline for requesting break housing during the semester.

SUNY Cortland requires all freshmen, sophomores, and new transfer students under 21 years of age as of Sept. 1 of the academic year, who are not commuting from the home of their parents, to live on SUNY Cortland campus. Other exceptions to this rule include veteran students, married students and students with children.

Newly admitted freshmen have a two-year or four-semester on-campus housing requirement, while all transfer students other than those with freshman credit hours have a one-year or two-semester on-campus housing requirement. West Campus Apartments are considered College-operated housing.

The residence halls are staffed with live-in professionals as well as students called resident assistants who live on each floor. The staff provides support to students as they transition to college life, and continue to grow personally and academically while at SUNY Cortland.

More about SUNY Cortland Residence Halls

Room and Board License/Policies

This policy and license supports the goal of Residence Life and Housing at SUNY Cortland, to provide a clean, comfortable, safe and enriching living environment. Students have a right and a responsibility to be aware of the expectations of the community in which they live.

Room and Board License and Residence Life and Housing Policies (PDF)

New International Graduate Student Housing

Housing is available at West Campus Apartments for graduate students. Also, international graduate students typically secure furnished housing in the city of Cortland within walking distance of the campus.

SUNY Cortland list of off-campus housing 

International Programs Office

Daniela Baban Hurrle, Director

Old Main, Room 219
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045
Phone: +1-607-753-2209
Fax: +1-607-753-5989

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Monday - Friday

Email International Programs Office