As we plan open for the Fall semester, the number one priority of the Recreational Sports Department is the health and safety of our campus community. This plan highlights changes that have been made to our facilities, operations, guidelines, and procedures to help reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure and transmission within Recreational Sports facilities as a result of participating in our programs and services.
All changes have been developed using New York State Department of Health, Cortland County Health Department and Center for Disease Control (CDC) Guidelines. Due to the nature of infectious diseases like COVID-19, no physical environment is free of risk of transmission. Our precautions are designed to mitigate, but cannot eliminate, this risk.
Following New York State Department of Health Interim Guidelines for Gyms and Fitness Centers During the Covid-19 Public Health Emergency modifications have been made to our facilities to ensure 6 feet of separation between patrons using equipment and participating in activities.
- Some equipment has been moved to allow for 6 feet of physical distancing.
- Some equipment will be available on a rotational basis; equipment that is “Temporarily Out of Service” will be clearly marked.
Patron Safety and Compliance
As of 8/3/2021, Face coverings will be required at all times (with the exception of showering, swimming, drinking, and eating in the dining-specified areas), regardless of vaccination status. We will notify members of any changes. Please adhere to rules until further notice.
- Acceptable face coverings include, but are not limited to, cloth-based face coverings and disposable masks appropriate for exercise that cover both the mouth and nose.
- Please note: Face shields, bandanas, buffs, and gaiters are not acceptable face coverings.
- Patrons without face coverings will not be permitted to enter the facility.
- Those violating the face covering policy will be asked to leave the facility, and may have their membership suspended.
- Vaccinations will be required starting Monday, August 30.
- Faculty/Staff and Students must present the Red Dragon Safe Pass Green Screen showing their vaccination has been approved each time they visit the Student Life Center to workout.
- Please note it may take up to 1-2 business days for your vaccination to be approved using the Covid vaccine portal.
- You can access this "Green Screen" by visiting:
- MyRedDragon and clicking the red bar that says, "Red Dragon Safe Pass."
- Scanning the QR code that is on the posters in the Student Life Center Lobby.
- Please have your Red Dragon Safe Pass Green Screen ready to show before you arrive at the Front Desk.
- Those without Smart Phones may show their actual vaccine card and their SUNY Cortland ID Card.
- All other Student Life Center Members:
- Other Student Life Center members must present the NYS Wallet/Excelsior App showing their vaccination has been approved each time they visit the Student Life Center to workout.
- Please note you must make an account and upload your information in advance for approval.
- Please have your NYS Wallet/Excelsior App Approval Screen ready to show before you arrive at the Front Desk.
- Those without Smart Phones may show their actual vaccine card and their SUNY Cortland/Recreational Sports ID Card.
- Hand dryers have been disabled; paper towel dispensers will now be available in locker rooms and restrooms.
Enhancing Cleaning Procedures
Recreational Sports has established enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures throughout our facilities, including:
- High touch surfaces will be cleaned throughout the day.
- Patrons are being asked to assist by disinfecting equipment both before and after use.
- Additional cleaning stations have been placed throughout our facilities, which include hand sanitizer, a COVID-19 EPA approved disinfectant spray and single use paper towels.
- In addition, we have received certification that our Smardt Chillers located in our facility are in operation within ASHRAE standards and have MERV-13 filters.
Team Member Safety
- Masks will be worn by front-facing service members at all times.
- Purchases using the Fusion Member Portal are encouraged to allow for less transfer between patrons and staff members.
Hours for Monday, August 30 - Thursday, December 16
7 a.m. - midnight
6 - 8 a.m.
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
7 - 10 p.m.
7 - 10 a.m.
7 a.m. - midnight
Climbing / Bouldering Wall
3 - 8 p.m.
10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Starting June 1, 2021, all members can return to the Student Life Center.
This includes: Students, Faculty/Staff, ASC Staff, Spouses/Partners of CURRENT Faculty/Staff/ASC Staff, Dependents of CURRENT Faculty/Staff/ASC Staff, Retired Faculty/Staff/ASC Staff, Spouses/Partners of RETIRED Faculty/Staff/ASC Staff, Families of Faculty/Staff/ASC, Alumnus, Alumnus Spouse/Partner, Alumnus AND Spouse/Partner, Alumnus Dependents and Alumnus Family.
Membership information can be found at: Student Life Center Memberships
Memberships can be purchased at the Recreational Sports Office in the Student Life Center. We accept Cash, Check, and Credit Card.
Those wishing to unfreeze their previous membership and/or Locker Service can do so upon visiting the Student Life Center. No need to call or email. Simply fill out the Extension form at the Front Desk and start working out!
Following New York State Department of Health and CDC guidelines, Recreational Sports programs has made modifications to what we offer and how those programs will operate.
- As always, appointments must be scheduled to meet with our licensed Massage Therapist, Hannah Polanko-Baker.
- Screening questions, along with temperature checks will be completed before the start of any session.
- Please visit our Massage Therapy Program page for more information.
- No guests will be allowed to the Student Life Center starting Monday, August 30, until further notice.
- Members wishing to participate in in-person personal training are required to meet their Personal Trainer at their scheduled training time.
- Please visit our Personal Training Program page for more information.
- We aim to provide a variety of recreational opportunities that contribute to the physical, emotional and social health of all members of our College community. Face coverings must be worn at all times.