COVID-19 Safety Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the magazines and/or journals located?

Most magazines and journals are located on the North Wing third floor. (Come up to the second floor. Turn left, cross the room, and take the stairs to the third floor.) Current and older issues are bound together and located on shelves. Some magazines and journals, often those dealing with teaching are located in the TMC, which is on the first floor. Please consult the journals list on the myRedDragon library tab to determine the location of a specific journal or magazine.

How do I check out a book? Can I check out magazines?

Borrowing Information is available on the library's borrowing policy page. Borrowing privileges are extended to the following:

  • Students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of SUNY Cortland -- SUNYCard required.
  • Alternative Cortland High School students -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of SUNYCard + driver's license.
  • Open Access -- students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of other SUNY/CUNY colleges -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of SUNYCard + driver's license.
  • Community Borrowers -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of a driver's license showing current local address or a driver's license + proof of current local address.
    • residents of Cortland, Tompkins, Onondaga, Madison, Chenango, Broome, Tioga, Cayuga Counties who are 16 years or older.
    • Cortland, DeRuyter, Dryden, Homer, McGraw, and Moravia High School students

Periodicals may not be checked out to students. Faculty may borrow periodicals on "special loan."

How should I pay a fine?

To pay a library fine, the The Help Center front counter will accept cash, check or money order.  You can pay with a credit card in person at the Bursars office, or mail a check  to SUNY Cortland Memorial Library, The Help Center, P.O. Box 2000, Cortland, NY  13045.

Does the library purchase textbooks?

Given the expense and frequent changes in course requirements, the library does not purchase textbooks.  We encourage faculty to donate copies of textbooks to us, or to put them on reserve at the The Help Center desk.

How do I renew a book?

Books that you have checked out from Memorial Library may be renewed online.  Students, faculty and staff can log into their library account via the link to the lower left of the library tab, in myRedDragon. Community borrowers should use this link.

Review and renew your loans by selecting your name in the upper-right corner, then choosing "My Loans."

Books may also be renewed by calling The Help Center at 607-753-2526.

How can I get a book or article you don't have from another library?

Materials that Memorial Library does not have in its collection may be requested via interlibrary loan from another institution.  This is a service for both students and faculty, and most items can be obtained for no cost to you. See Interlibrary Loan for more information.

How do I cite a book? an article? a webpage?

Information for citing sources can be found at Memorial Library's Research Help Desk. The library owns copies of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association [Research Help BF76.7 .P83 2010], the MLA  Handbook [Research Help LB2369 .G53 2016], and the The Chicago Manual of Style [Research Help Z253 .U69 2010].

When is the library open?

Memorial Library Hours vary depending on the time of year. For the most current hours consult the hours page.

Where is the reference desk located? When is a librarian there?

The Research Help desk is located on the first floor of Memorial Library. During the semester, Librarians are typically available Monday through Wednesday 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Thursday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m. to  9 p.m.  During semester breaks, Research Help is available upon request.  You may also contact a Librarian via phone, email, text, or chat; detailed information is available on our Contact/Help page as well as the library tab of myRedDragon.

Where is Lost and Found? How long are items kept there?

Items that are found within the Library are brought to The Help Center on the first floor lobby. Valuable items such as jewelry and wallets are turned over to the University Police Department

How can I get a student job at the library?

Are you a student that wants to work at the Library?

Memorial Library employs more than 30 students per semester; many working all four years. There are a variety of jobs and hours available including working with technology, staffing public service counters, shelving, and other tasks. We rely on our student employees to keep the library running smoothly during all hours of operation.

You can apply all year round, with the optimal time being a few weeks before the semester until just after the semester begins. To apply, select the application link below, choose On Campus Student Assistant Jobs, and find the Library Student Assistant posting to fill out the online form. You will be required to submit a basic resume and cover letter.

If you have any questions, contact The Help Center by email at

Library Employment Application

What if I have more questions?

You can contact us to find out more.