SUNY Cortland welcomes applications from students who have attended post-secondary institutions. We understand that making the transition to another school can be an overwhelming process, and on this page, you’ll find exactly what you need to make applying to SUNY Cortland a seamless process.
Preparing for Transfer
We offer a variety of online resources to help you plan your path to the college.
- Majors: Review program outlines, career options, and other helpful facts for each of our 68 majors.
- Transfer Planning Sheets: Each sheet provides a list of recommended courses to enroll in prior to transferring.
- Course Equivalency Charts: Used in combination with the planning sheets, you can find courses at your current college that match those listed on the planning sheets.
We strive to enroll an academically well-qualified and diverse student body. Admissions decisions are primarily based on previous cumulative academic performance, as well as the competitiveness of your intended program of study.
The transfer admissions process is rolling, meaning applications are reviewed each semester on a rolling basis until capacity is reached.
Dates listed below are recommendations, not deadlines.
- Fall applicants are encouraged to apply by March 1.
- Spring applicants are encouraged to apply by Nov. 1.
After all required materials are received, your application will be evaluated based on the admission criteria.
- College transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges attended or earned credit
- Final high school transcript: Official transcript verifying graduation
Additional items that may be requested from you:
- Mid-semester grades
- Statement of activities: Used to explain any gaps in education since high school
If you previously enrolled at SUNY Cortland and you would like to re-enroll, you may do so by completing the readmission process.
Transfer admissions Q&A webinars
These webinars are geared specifically to the needs for transfer students. Topics covered include academic and social opportunities, living on campus and application process information.
Transfer admissions Q&A webinars are offered on a limited schedule.
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
The principal mission of the Educational Opportunity Program at SUNY Cortland is to provide access and support to students with strong academic and personal potential. To be considered for EOP please complete the SUNY Application. For more information on EOP, visit suny.edu.
Transfer EOP applicants should submit the EOP Transfer Verification Form.