Transfer Student FAQs

Frequently asked questions

Where do I send my official transcripts and other application materials?

Send transcripts and other materials to:

Undergraduate Admissions
SUNY Cortland
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045

Colleges that have the ability to send electronic (PDF) versions of transcripts directly to the Admissions Office will be considered official.  Please review your college transcript request options.  If needed, you may have to choose the "Send to a Third-Party Recipient" option and input as the recipient's email address.

Transcripts emailed to us directly from applicants are considered unofficial and cannot be used to make a decision.  Paper transcripts can be mailed to us by applicants as long as they are still in an official sealed envelope from the college.

Do I need to declare a major when I apply?

Yes. In order to be considered for admission all transfer applicants must choose a major.  To see our academic offerings please view our list of majors.  Please note that transfer students are not eligible for the Undeclared/Pre-major.  

What is the minimum GPA for admission?

2.5 is the minimum GPA to transfer, and admission requirements may vary depending on intended major and number of college credits completed. More details are available on our Transfer Student Requirements page.

How many credits can I transfer?

You may transfer 64 credits from a 2-year college. Students with credit from four-colleges may receive additional credit hours toward degree requirements at Cortland. The maximum number of transfer credit hours accepted is 90.

Details concerning the credit evaluation policy can be found here: Loading...

How will my credits transfer?

Formal credit evaluations occur after the Admissions Deposit has been paid. Potential students can review the Course Equivalency Charts we have for some colleges to determine how their courses match ours. Students can then review the college catalog to find out how those credits fit into the intended major.

If I earned college credits in high school will they transfer?

Yes. We will award credit for college coursework completed in high school. However, students will need to contact the college that awarded those credits and request an official transcript.

Is on-campus housing available for transfer students?

Yes. We require all new transfer students to live on-campus for one year (unless you meet the criteria for living off-campus), and we reserve space specifically for transfer students in several of our upperclassmen residence halls.

Information related to housing policies as well as detailed descriptions of the residence halls is available at: Residence Life and Housing

Can I apply for scholarships?

Merit-based scholarships are awarded to a limited number of transfer students at the time of admission. No separate application is required, and recipients are notified in their acceptance letter.

The Phi Theta Kappa scholarship is awarded to a limited number of transfer students who are members of the PTK honor society.  Please submit a copy of your PTK induction certificate for consideration.

Can I receive financial aid?

Yes. To be eligible for financial aid, you will have to add SUNY Cortland to your FAFSA. The Financial Aid page will provide you more information on this process.

When can I register for classes?

All new transfer students will attend a Transfer Transition Seminar prior to the start of their first semester. During this one-day session, new students will meet with an advisor from their intended major and register for classes.

Where can I find more information about campus safety?

In accordance with the federal Clery Act, SUNY Cortland’s University Police Department (UPD) publishes a Campus Safety Report. This includes important safety procedures, monthly crime statistics and the many ways for students, faculty and staff members to report a crime. The Campus Safety Report receives additional input from the Vice President’s Office, Division of Student Affairs, and the following offices: Communications, Financial Aid, Human Resources, Residence Life and Housing and Student Conduct.

The report is available on the UPD webpage.