As a patient at SUNY Cortland’s Student Health Service, you have choices, rights, and responsibilities.
You Have the Right
- To be treated with dignity and respect.
- To know the names and professional status of people serving you.
- To privacy.
- To confidentiality.
- To receive accurate information about your health related concerns.
- To know the effectiveness, possible side effects, and problems of all forms of treatment.
- To participate in choosing a form of treatment.
- To receive education and counseling.
- To consent to, or refuse, care and/or treatment.
- To select and/or change your health care provider.
- To review your medical records with a clinician.
- To information about services and related costs.
You Have the Responsibility
- To seek medical attention promptly.
- To provide complete and honest information about your medical history.
- To ask about anything you do not understand.
- To follow health advice and medical instruction.
- To report any significant changes in symptoms or failure to improve.
- To respect Student Health Services’ policies and personnel.
- To keep appointments or cancel in advance.
- To seek non-emergency care during regular hours.
- To provide useful feedback about services and policies.
- To meet any financial obligations as a result of your health care, both on and off campus.
When you have questions...ask!
When you have problems...speak up!
When you are satisfied...let us know!
Special thanks and credit to the Creighton University Student Health Service for this model.
Information in a student's medical record is strictly confidential. It is released only with written permission of the student and/or as required by law. It is not part of the academic record. Absolutely no personal medical information will be communicated to patients or others via email. This type of information is given only in person, through secure messaging using the secure Student Health Web Portal, or by telephone, after securing personal identification.
Student Health Service
Van Hoesen Hall, Room B-26
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045