SUNY Cortland is an academic community dedicated to diverse learning experiences. Students grow as engaged citizens with a strong social conscience fostered by outstanding teaching, scholarship and service.
SUNY Cortland will be a college of opportunity, from which students graduate with the knowledge, integrity, skills and compassion to excel as leaders, citizens, scholars, teachers and champions of excellence. Prospective students and employees will choose the College in response to its nationally recognized academic programs, innovation and experiential learning, and the rich intellectual, social and athletic life on the campus. SUNY Cortland will be a center for intellectual, cultural and economic growth, distinguished by successful partnerships with organizations, schools, agencies and businesses throughout the region, the nation and the world.
- Cultivate programs of academic excellence that are recognized for integrity of curriculum, outstanding student learning outcomes and contributions to the discipline.
- Recognize students, faculty, and programs for achievement and contribution to their disciplines and community.
- Create a comprehensive model to describe and articulate programmatic excellence and efficiency.
- Expand interdisciplinary work and scholarly collaboration among departments, faculty, students, and alumni.
- Ensure every student will have engaging and transformational educational experiences.
- Students participate in experiential learning in and beyond the classroom.
- Develop students’ global competence through internationalization initiatives.
- Increase student engagement with faculty, campus life and community.
- Become a national leader in the promotion of the physical, emotional, cultural and social well-being of all community members.
- Implement a comprehensive plan for increasing participation in the life of the campus.
- Appreciate and advocate for diversity, equity and social justice.
- Provide outstanding opportunities and support for healthy living.
- Maximize resources so that structures, decision-making and processes all work toward institutional vision, responsiveness and sustainability.
- Enhance the effectiveness of administrative and governance structures and processes and align assessments with planning.
- Significantly increase the endowment and revenue.
- More fully integrate alumni into the life of the College.
- Align facilities, curriculum and campus with commitment to environmental sustainability.