The mission of SUNY Cortland Archives is to support the College community by collecting, preserving, organizing, and providing research and educational opportunities regarding the materials documenting the history of SUNY Cortland.
The Archives and Special Collections are housed on the third floor of Memorial Library (see map) and can be found in the library catalog, where requests can be placed to make an appointment for specific items. If you have questions regarding any materials, please feel free to contact us at Library.Archives@cortland.edu. Visits are by appointment only. For more information, including digital collections, please visit the Archives and Special Collections Research Guide.
All visits are by appointment only. Below are some standard guidelines and practices.
- All researchers will be required to log in at each visit.
- There are no scheduled walk-in hours for the archives.
- Materials do no circulate.
- Space in the reading room is provided for the researchers to examine materials.
- A separate space will be provided to store personal belongings.
- Due to preservation concerns, food & drink are prohibited from the reading room.
- Researchers will be provided with pencil and paper for note taking if they need it.
- Photocopying/scanning of materials may be possible with assistance from the Archivist.
- The researcher agrees to publish no portion of archival material referenced without first obtaining permission.
- The researcher assumes sole responsibility for any infringement of literary rights, copyrights or other legal rights related to the material.
- When finished, materials will be returned to the Archivist for shelving.
Please view the full archives collection policy for more details.