Study Abroad

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Financial aid can help fund semester-long study abroad programs. Securing your financial aid for study abroad is a process that requires working with several offices and being totally engaged in the process from start to finish. Early planning  greatly reduces financial challenges and allows you to prepare ahead with savings, scholarships, private educational loans and financial aid. 


  • You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at SUNY Cortland on at least a half-time basis and be making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the College and by the Financial Aid Office.
  • Study abroad courses must earn credits and be applicable toward your degree program at SUNY Cortland.
  • File aid-year specific FAFSA and complete verification if required.
  • File aid-year specific TAP application.


  • You may not postpone your graduation in order to study abroad and receive financial aid.
  • Winter session study abroad programs will not qualify to receive financial aid.
  • You will not be able to receive federal Work-Study funds for study abroad.
  • You will not be able to receive financial aid for study abroad courses that do not earn SUNY Cortland credits.
  • Certain scholarships may not be used toward study abroad expenses.

Filing Procedures

  • Contact the International Programs Office and obtain the study abroad program cost budget form.
  • Make an appointment with your financial aid advisor to discuss your aid eligibility.
  • Additional Information on funding study abroad is available at the International Programs office and at Funding Study Abroad, Study Abroad Scholarships.
  • Summer/Fall/Spring applicants must complete the Financial Aid Study Abroad Request form with their financial aid advisor. 
  • Summer study abroad applicants must complete the Summer Request for Financial Aid.
  • Follow up with your financial aid advisor once approved and registered for courses.
  • Financial Aid is often not available until after a program commences and costs may be incurred prior to departure.
  • Contact the Student Accounts Office to make payment and/or refund arrangements.