Red Dragon pride
We’re proud of the accomplishments that help demonstrate why SUNY Cortland is a special place, whether they come in the form of academic discovery, new social experiences or athletic achievements.
Blending more than a century and a half of educating students with state-of-the-art facilities and quality professors, the SUNY Cortland experience is punctuated by several noteworthy feats and achievements.
Here are just a few of them:
- We were the highest-ranked SUNY comprehensive college in Money magazine’s 2019 “Best Colleges For Your Money” rankings, which factor in the cost of attendance, the quality of education and the success of alumni.
- We boast the largest certified teacher education program among public universities in New York state and one of the largest accredited teacher education programs on the East Coast.
- Since 2007, the College has awarded more than 100 summer undergraduate research fellowships, which now offer a $3,000 stipend, eight weeks of summer housing and one-on-one scholarly work with faculty members across all disciplines.
- SUNY Cortland has witnessed more than $300 million in new construction and renovation since 2011. Major campus centers for undergraduate research and creative activity include two of the most recently renovated academic buildings: Bowers Hall, our home of the sciences, and Dowd Fine Arts Center, which hosts many programs in the arts.
- Recent rankings have ranked us No. 2 in New York state for communication disorders and sciences and inclusive childhood education, No. 3 in New York state for communication studies and No. 4 in New York state for grads getting jobs, according to career outcomes website Zippia.com; No. 10 in the nation for careers in sports medicine, according to CollegeChoice.net; and No. 20 among the “30 Safest College Towns in America,” according to SafeWise.
- We were the first institution in the 64-campus SUNY system to operate with 100 percent renewable electricity, underscored by nearly 4,000 campus solar panels and 40 geothermal wells.
- We’re one of the only campuses in the SUNY system to offer in-demand majors such as criminology, speech and hearing science and geographic information systems.
- We were one of the first SUNY institutions to go completely tobacco-free in 2013. Our stated goal is to become the healthiest college campus in the nation. We also were among the first 40 colleges and universities to commit to the Partnership for a Healthier America’s Healthier Campus Initiative in 2016.
- Our one-of-a-kind W.H. Parks Family Center for Environmental and Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake is the only National Historic Landmark in the SUNY system. This fully equipped learning facility in the Adirondack Mountains is used by an increasing number of students each year, in disciplines spanning history, conservation biology, physical education and English.
- We claim one of the best NCAA Div. III athletic programs in the country. Red Dragon teams have captured 25 national titles while individual student-athletes have earned more than 100 titles. Cortland boasts team titles in 10 sports — the second-highest total nationally.