Musical Theatre Program Auditions
For the 2020-21 school year, all auditions will be online submissions. Please note: These online submissions are not prescreens, but will serve as your audition for the department.
It is strongly recommended that an application for general admission to SUNY Cortland is submitted before scheduling an audition. Visit SUNY Cortland's application process page to learn more.
Candidates should prepare:
- Two 30-second contrasting song selections from the musical theatre canon.
- Song selection requirements: one up-tempo, one ballad; one pre-1960, one post-1960; no pop, rock, rap, or country. No acapella auditions, please.
- A brief, one-minute contemporary monologue—no Shakespeare or verse, please. Monologue cannot be from a musical or performed with a dialect.
- 30-60 seconds of dance. Candidates can choose whatever discipline they feel the most confident in: jazz, ballet, modern, hip hop, lyrical or contemporary. The dance portion of the audition can be filmed in a studio, or can be from a production, competition, or other performance. Choreography must be performed to music; no a cappella, please. The dance should be filmed in “full body” shot, with the entire body in the frame at all times. Choreography must be performed to music; no a cappella, please.
- Camera should be at eye level
- Camera should be in the landscape mode
- All frames should include a “full body” shot
- Please refrain from busy background patterns as they can be distracting
Submit your audition to: PerformingArtsDepartment@cortland.edu
Applicants will be notified regarding acceptance to the College and Musical Theatre major by the Admissions Office. You must apply for general admission to the College in order to be considered for the Musical Theatre major. Visit cortland.edu/apply to learn more.
If you have any questions about auditions or the audition process, please contact: email@example.com.