Winter Break Closing
Residence halls close:
6 p.m. on Fri., Dec. 15
Residence halls reopen:
9 a.m. on Fri., Jan. 19
Exceptions can be made:
- Late class? Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Sat., Dec. 16. Complete the late stay/early arrival request form on myRedDragon by 12 p.m. on Wed., Dec. 13
- Extenuating circumstances or transportation problems?
- Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Wed., Nov. 22. Complete the late stay/early arrival request form on myRedDragon by 12 p.m. on Wed., Dec. 13
- Athletic practice or an event? Arrangements can be made through your coach.
- International students who do not live at WCA requiring break housing must complete the Break Housing Registration form by 11:59 p.m. on Sun., Dec. 10
How to complete the late stay request form:
- Log into myRedDragon
- Go to the student tab
- Scroll down to the Residence Life and Housing section
- Select the Housing Process and Information link
- Go to forms; select the appropriate form
Contact your RHD with questions related to closing:
When you leave
Follow the instructions listed on the checklist taped to your door.
IMPORTANT: Check-out information for students not returning for Spring 2018
If you decide over the winter break that you are not returning to SUNY Cortland for the Spring 2018 semester (including if you are academically dismissed/suspended), you must check out of your room on the following dates:
- Sun., Jan. 14 from 1 p.m.– 4 p.m.
- Mon., Jan. 15 from 1 p.m.– 4 p.m.
- Tues., Jan. 16 from 9 a.m.– noon.
You must call Residence Life and Housing if you cannot check out during these dates and times or if you have already removed your belongings from your room. To avoid a $25 improper closing charge, check out with a staff member or at Residence Life and Housing after you have removed all of your belongings and cleaned your room. Check out will involve signing your RCR and turning in your room key.
If you do not remove your belongings, college staff will pack them and put them in storage. You will also receive a pro-rated spring room charge if you do not remove your belongings and check out by Tues., Jan. 16 at 12 p.m. The minimum charge for late check-out for a double room is $184.65.
Moving Out of Your Room? How To Check Out at the End of the Semester:
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Sign up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD if you would like to have an idea of possible charges
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows and furniture, including any sticky residue.
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the Dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers and closets of all items: wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Go to the staff office OR meet your RHD at their office for your closing assessment appointment.
- Return your room key and sign your Room Condition Report (RCR). Failure to turn in your room key will result in a $75 charge for a lock change. If you do not check out with a staff member at the staff office you will be charged $25 for an improper check out.
- Mail Forwarding: Mail will not be forwarded. Change your address with all senders to continue receiving mail after you check out, including for over the summer and next academic year; all mail received will be returned to sender. Contact ASC staff for questions
pertaining to mail.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
- Closing assessment charges for fall 2017 coming soon
- View on myRedDragon on TBD
- Appeal (payment due first) by TBD
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.