Residence Life and Housing
Closing for Breaks and Checkout Process
Breaks- Residence Hall Closing
West Campus Apartments remains open for the entire academic year. All other residence halls follow this closing and opening schedule:
- Thanksgiving Break
- Close at 6 p.m.on Tues., Nov. 24
- Re-open at 2 p.m. on Sun., Nov. 29
- End of semester/winter break
- Close at 6 p.m. on Fri., Dec. 18; you should plan to leave 24 hours after your last final
- Re-open at 9 a.m. on Fri., Jan 22
- Spring Break
- Close at 6 p.m. on Fri., Mar. 11
- Re-open at 2 p.m. on Sun., Mar. 20
- End of year
- Close at 6 p.m. on Fri., May 13; you should plan to leave 24 hours after your last final
- Re-open and move-in on Sat., Aug. 27
End of Semester Closing- Winter Break
Residence halls officially close:
6 p.m. on Fri., Dec. 18, but you should plan to leave 24 hours after your last final. West Campus Apartments will remain open for all academic breaks.
Exceptions can be made:
- Late final? Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Sat., Dec. 19. Email your RHD by 4 p.m. on Wed., Dec. 16.
- Extenuating circumstances or transportation problems? Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Sat., Dec. 19. Email your RHD by 4 p.m. on Wed., Dec. 16.
- Athletic practice or an event? Arrangements can be made through your coach.
Email your RHD for permission to stay:
When you leave
You must follow the closing checklist taped to your room door. Once all items are complete and before you leave, initial the checklist so we know you have left. Staff will enter your room to ensure all safety measures have been completed. If you are completely moving out of your room, you must follow the proper check-out procedures below.
Moving Out of Your Room? How To Check Out at the End of the Semester:
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Sign up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD if you would like to have an idea of possible charges
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows and furniture, including any sticky residue.
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the Dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers and closets of all items: wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Go to the staff office OR meet your RHD at their office for your closing assessment appointment.
- Return your room key and sign out on your Room Condition Report (RCR). Failure to turn in your room key will result in a $75 charge for a lock change. If you do not check out with a staff member at the staff office you will be charged $25 for an improper check out.
- Mail Forwarding: Mail will not be forwarded. Change your address with all senders to continue receiving mail after you check out, including for over the summer and next academic year; all mail received will be returned to sender. Contact ASC staff for questions
pertaining to mail.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
- Closing assessment charges for fall 2015:
- View on myRedDragon on Wed., Jan. 6
- Appeal (payment due first) by Wed., Jan. 27
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.