End of semester closing
Residence halls will close at 5 p.m. on Wed., May 14 with the following exceptions:
- Wednesday evening final? Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Thursday, May 15. E-mail your RHD by noon on Monday, May 12.
- Extenuating circumstances or transportation problems? Request permission to stay later than 5 p.m. on May 14 from your RHD via e-mail by noon on Monday, May 12. If granted you must leave the building by Thursday, May 15 at 9 a.m.
- Involved with Commencement? You may stay until 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 17 and graduating seniors with families staying in Commencement housing may be approved to stay until Sunday, May 18. You must register with your RHD via e-mail by noon on Monday, May 12.
Download the end of semester closing memo (PDF) for the residence halls.
Download the end of semester closing memo (PDF) for West Campus Apartments.
E-mail your RHD to request permission to stay:
|Glass Tower||Hayes/Leadership House||Hendrick||Higgins|
|West Campus Apartments|
- Clean your room thoroughly according to the instructions on the closing memo and check out with an RA or the RHD at the staff office. If you do not check out properly you will be billed $25 for improper check out.
- If you want your room assessed for damages and proper cleaning in the presence of the RHD, make an appointment on the signup sheets on the RHD’s office door. Sign up 24 hours in advance. The room must be clean and empty of belongings and you must meet your RHD at their office at the time of your appointment.
Changes in policies
ALCOHOL POLICY: Beginning Tuesday, May 6 at 8 a.m. through May 14 at 5 p.m., there is NO POSSESSION or CONSUMPTION of alcohol of any kind on campus. Violators of this policy will be referred to the student conduct office.
QUIET HOURS: 24-hour quiet hours will begin Tuesday, May 6 at 11 p.m. when normal quiet hours begin and will continue through the last day of final exams Wednesday, May 14. Twenty-four hour quiet hours continue through the last day of final exams even though some students may be finished earlier. Violators of this policy will be referred to student conduct. Noise should not be heard from outside of your room.
GUEST POLICY: Overnight guests are strongly discouraged on campus for the weekend of May 9-10. If you need to host an overnight guest you must receive permission from your RHD.
How To Check Out
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Sign up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD if you would like to have an idea of possible charges (Spring 2014 charges dates).
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows and furniture, including any sticky residue.
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the Dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers and closets of all items: wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Go to the staff office OR meet your RHD at their office for your closing assessment appointment.
- Return your room key and sign out on your Room Condition Report (RCR). Failure to turn in your room key will result in a $75 charge for a lock change. If you do not check out with a staff member at the staff office you will be charged $25 for an improper check out.
- Mail Forwarding: Fill out a forward address card. We only forward mail if you fill out the forward address card. You should change any magazine address labels immediately in order to avoid mail delivery delay.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.