End of Year Closing
Residence halls officially close:
6 p.m. on Fri., May 15, 2015. You should plan to check out within 24 hours of your last final or by 6 p.m. on Friday.
Exceptions can be made:
- Friday evening final? Request permission from your RHD to stay until 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 16. Email your RHD by noon on Wednesday, May 13.
- Extenuating circumstances or transportation problems? Request permission to stay later than 6 p.m. on May 15 from your RHD via email by noon on Wednesday, May 13. If granted you must leave the building by Saturday, May 16 at 9 a.m.
- Involved with Commencement? You may stay until 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 16 and graduating seniors with families staying in Commencement housing may be approved to stay until Sunday, May 17. You must register with your RHD via email by noon on Wednesday, May 13.
Email your RHD for permission to stay:
You must follow the closing checklist taped to your room door. Once all items are complete and before you leave, you must officially check out with a staff member at the staff office or by signing up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD. If you wish to set up an appointment with your RHD, sign up on the sheet outside of their office door beginning May 4. Your appointment needs to be made 24 hours in advance. If you do not check out with a staff member, you will be assessed a $25 improper checkout fee.
At checkout you will:
- Return your room key
- Sign your RCR
- Be instructed to change your address with any sender you wish to receive mail from over the summer and/or after you are no longer living in the residence hall; all mail will be returned to sender if it received on campus
Residence halls re-open
Move-in for the fall 2015 semester will begin on Saturday, August 29 for all returning students. If you would like to return early, you can sign up to be on Blaze's Opening Crew between August 1 and 23 on myRedDragon.
How To Check Out
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Sign up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD if you would like to have an idea of possible charges (spring 2015 closing assessment charges dates)
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows and furniture, including any sticky residue.
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the Dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers and closets of all items: wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Go to the staff office OR meet your RHD at their office for your closing assessment appointment.
- Return your room key and sign out on your Room Condition Report (RCR). Failure to turn in your room key will result in a $75 charge for a lock change. If you do not check out with a staff member at the staff office you will be charged $25 for an improper check out.
- Mail Forwarding: Mail will not be forwarded. Change your address with all senders to continue receiving mail after you check out, including for over the summer and next academic year; all mail received will be returned to sender. Contact ASC staff for questions
pertaining to mail.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
- Spring 2015 closing assessment charges:
- View on myRedDragon on June 16
- Appeal (payment due first) by June 30
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.