Closing for Breaks and Checkout Process
Thanksgiving Break closing
Residence halls close: 6 p.m. on Tues., Nov. 25, 2014
Exceptions can be made if you have Tuesday evening classes, are an athlete with a scheduled practice, or if you have transportation problems. Email your RHD no later than Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. If granted permission to stay you must vacate your room and residence hall by 9 a.m. on Wed., Nov. 26, 2014.
International students: if you will remain at SUNY Cortland for the Thanksgiving Break, complete the Break Housing Registration form by 8 a.m. on Wed., Nov. 16. You may be relocated to another residence hall location for the duration of the break.
Checkout procedures: follow the closing checklist taped to your room door. Staff will enter your room after it has been vacated to ensure the checklist items have been completed.
Residence halls re-open: 2 p.m. on Sun., Nov. 30. Please plan your trip accordingly. You will not be able to reenter the residence hall any earlier than 2 p.m.
Email your RHD to request permission to stay:
|West Campus Apartments|
End of Semester closings/withdrawals:
- Clean your room thoroughly according to the instructions on the closing memo and check out with an RA or the RHD at the staff office. If you do not check out properly you will be billed $25 for improper check out.
- If you want your room assessed for damages and proper cleaning in the presence of the RHD, make an appointment on the signup sheets on the RHD’s office door. Sign up 24 hours in advance. The room must be clean and empty of belongings and you must meet your RHD at their office at the time of your appointment.
Changes in policies (end of semester only; dates will change to reflect)
ALCOHOL POLICY: Beginning Tuesday, May 6 at 8 a.m. through May 14 at 5 p.m., there is NO POSSESSION or CONSUMPTION of alcohol of any kind on campus. Violators of this policy will be referred to the student conduct office.
QUIET HOURS: 24-hour quiet hours will begin Tuesday, May 6 at 11 p.m. when normal quiet hours begin and will continue through the last day of final exams Wednesday, May 14. Twenty-four hour quiet hours continue through the last day of final exams even though some students may be finished earlier. Violators of this policy will be referred to student conduct. Noise should not be heard from outside of your room.
GUEST POLICY: Overnight guests are strongly discouraged on campus for the weekend of May 9-10. If you need to host an overnight guest you must receive permission from your RHD.
End of Fall Semester Closing (Winter Break)
Residence halls officially close:
6 p.m. on Fri., Dec 12, 2015. You should plan to leave within 24 hours of your last final exam, but no later than the official closing. West Campus Apartments remains open, but you must visit cortland.edu/reslife to register to stay.
Exceptions can be made for students with Friday final exams and if you have transportation problems. Notify your RHD via e-mail no later than Wed., Dec. 10 at 4 p.m. If you are granted permission you must vacate your room and the residence hall by 9 a.m. on Sat., Dec. 13.
Email your RHD for permission to stay:
|West Campus Apartments|
- International students: if you will reside at SUNY Cortland at any time during the Winter Break, please contact your RHD immediately to discuss your housing options and complete the Break Registration Form.
Policy changes for study days and finals
- Alcohol: no possession or consumption from Fri., Dec. 5 at 8 a.m. through Sat., Dec. 13 at 5 p.m. (including if you are 21 or over)
- Quiet hours: 24 hour quiet hours- Fri., Dec. 5 at 11 p.m. through Fri., Dec. 13
- Guest policy: guests are strongly discouraged for the weekend of Dec. 5-7; you must receive permission from your RHD
You must follow the closing checklist taped to your room door. Once all items are complete and before you leave, indicate the date and time you left and initial. Leave the checklist taped to your door. Staff will enter your room after it has been vacated to ensure the checklist items have been completed.
Rooms with vacancies: if your roommate is not returning for Spring 2015, you must arrange your room so it is half empty (one bed, closet, dresser, and desk). You may be subject to room consolidation when you return.
Residence halls re-open
Classes will resume on Mon., Jan. 26. You can move back in on any of the following days:
- 9 a.m. on Fri., Jan. 23
- 9 a.m. on Sat., Jan. 24
- 10 a.m. on Sun., Jan 24
Current freshmen and students planning to live on campus for Fall 2015-Spring 2016 (including if you signed up for the WCA Guarantee): a $150 room deposit will be due by Wed., Marth 4th, 2015.
How To Check Out
Your room will be checked for damages and proper cleaning after it has been vacated by all residents if you did not schedule an assessment with your RHD.
- Sign up for a closing assessment appointment with your RHD if you would like to have an idea of possible charges (Spring 2014 charges dates).
- Sweep and/or vacuum and mop floors.
- Close and lock windows, leave the blinds down and open.
- Unplug all floor lamp(s) and mirror unit(s) and leave plugs showing. Turn off all lights.
- Remove all pictures, signs, decorations, scotch tape, neon stars, etc. from ceiling, walls, doors, closets, windows and furniture, including any sticky residue.
- Empty and wash recycling containers and take all non-recyclables and trash to the Dumpsters. All recyclables should be disposed of in the appropriate bin on your floor.
- Return all college dining hall utensils to the dining hall.
- Do not leave any clothing or belongings in the laundry room, bathroom or lounges.
- Microfridges should be emptied, cleaned, defrosted and left in your room for pickup.
- Clean out desks, dresser drawers and closets of all items: wrappers, dust, hangers, etc. Wipe down desks and dresser tops and windowsills. Lock your door behind you when you leave.
- Go to the staff office OR meet your RHD at their office for your closing assessment appointment.
- Return your room key and sign out on your Room Condition Report (RCR). Failure to turn in your room key will result in a $75 charge for a lock change. If you do not check out with a staff member at the staff office you will be charged $25 for an improper check out.
- Mail Forwarding: Fill out a forward address card. We only forward mail if you fill out the forward address card. You should change any magazine address labels immediately in order to avoid mail delivery delay.
- Closing Assessment Bills: You can log into myRedDragon to see if you have closing assessment charges and to find instructions regarding the online appeals process. Charges must be paid even if you are appealing. We encourage you to check your account even if you do not think you will have charges.
If you do not check out according to these procedures you will be charged an improper check-out fee of $25. If you are the only person leaving the room it must be left half empty and ready to be occupied. The closet, desk, dresser and bed must be completely clear and all belongings removed.