Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question that is not answered here? Call us at 607-753-4724.

What if I miss a deadline?

  • RSP Form deadline: if you want to live on campus and miss the RSP Form deadline, you will have to complete the Wait List form. Residence Life and Housing will communicate with you regarding your next step in the process.
  • Room deposit deadline: you will be removed from the assignment you chose during RSP. If you want housing, you can pay your deposit beginning on May 9 through June 15. You are strongly encouraged to pay by May 25 for assignment information by June 1.
    • If you are required to live on campus, you will be reassigned to another room.
    • If you are not required to live on campus, you will not be guaranteed assignment if you do not pay your deposit before June 15.

Back to top.

Can I request accommodations for a medical condition or disability?

Yes. Indicate the accommodation you need on your RSP form and submit any supporting paperwork to the appropriate office by 4 p.m. on March 23. There will be a designated selection based on your requirements on the morning of April 9.

SUNY Cortland is committed to upholding and maintaining all aspects of the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Any information regarding your disability will remain confidential and will be shared only with your permission. Back to top.

How do I sign up for a room?

Once you have completed your RSP Form, you will receive a selection time to choose a room. Log on to myRedDragon at your assigned time and complete the steps found. Back to top.

Can I check my room assignment once I've completed RSP?

You should check your room assignment and can do so at any time on the main screen of The Housing Director. Back to top.

Can I change my assignment?

Yes, once your room selection time is active you can complete the Room Change form to grant you access to the room change process. You can only move into an open space, so if you want to swap with another person, visit Residence Life and Housing with the person you are swapping with. You will also be able to make changes to your assignment on June 6 and 7. Back to top.

What if chose a room during the West Campus Apartments Guarantee?

You must pay your $150 room deposit by May 1 or you will be removed from your assignment. You can also complete the Room Change form to make a change to your assignment if you so choose. If you decide to move from West Campus Apartments you will not be charged the 2017-2018 rate.

Who is eligible to select a room?

All current SUNY Cortland students that complete an RSP Form. New students admitted for fall 2018 cannot participate. Back to top.

What is the selection time based on?

Credit Hours: Each student’s credit hours toward graduation as of December. Students with the most credit hours choose first.

Dean’s List Points: An extra three points will be added to your total credit hours for each semester you have been on the Dean’s List at SUNY Cortland. Back to top.

Can I move on campus after moving off?

Yes. Complete the RSP Form by March 23. Back to top.

What if I am being harassed?

When a student selects a room, they have the right to not be harassed by any other student who may have wanted that room. Please note that any harassment of another student including sending abusive or threatening messages by any means will be processed through the Student Conduct Office and could result in the forfeit of your on-campus housing assignment, according to the College Code B-10– Electronic Use Policy and C-1-Harassment. If you are being harassed talk to your resident assistant or residence hall director. Back to top.

Can I change an answer on my RSP Form?

Yes. Once you have submitted your form, you will be able to revisit it to edit your answers. After March 23, you will not be able to make any changes to questions pertaining to special interest housing. Back to top.

What if I want to live off campus? What form should I fill out?

If you have met your housing requirement or will not live on campus for an academic reason, complete the Release from Housing form, found under Forms. Back to top.

Why doesn't the person I want to live with show up in the roommate search?

Only people who have completed the RSP Form are in the roommate selection pool. If the person you want to live with does not appear, ask them if they completed the RSP Form. If yes, double check the spelling of your roommate. Back to top.

What if I do not have a roommate? Can I still select a room?

If you want to live in a double room, you are required to have a roommate to select your own room. Otherwise, you can choose a single room or wait until the fill room requirement is lifted at the end of the process. If you do not know who you want to live with, you have a couple of options:

  • Do an advanced roommate search. You can choose search criteria to narrow down your search to your ideal roommate. Only those who completed an RSP Form are in the roommate search pool, so it is possible your options will increase the longer you wait.
  • Join our RSP Facebook group designed to help you find a roommate. It's up to you to reach out to others in the group to form your group.
  • Do not choose your own room; indicate on your RSP Form that you want to be assigned by Residence Life and Housing staff.

Back to top.

I want to live in Dragon Hall or Glass Tower Hall, but I do not have a group of four. Can I still select a room in one of those buildings?

No. We require you to fill the set occupancy of the space that you are signing up for. Dragon Hall and Glass Tower Hall only have quads available, which means you need to have a roommate group of four to be eligible to select a space in those buildings. You can join our RSP Facebook group to find people to complete your roommate group.

Back to top.

I have a group size of three or five. Can I still select a suite, quad or apartment?

No. We require you to fill the set occupancy of the space that you are signing up for. You will need to find one more person for your group to have the option to select a suite, quad or apartment. There are very limited five-person suites available in Higgins Hall.

Back to top.

If I have a group of four or six am I guaranteed a suite, quad or apartment?

No, you are not guaranteed. Our residence halls are not able to accommodate everyone who wants a suite, quad or apartment; there are more four and six person groups than there are group spaces. Typically more than half of current freshmen will not be able to select a suite, quad or apartment. Please have a backup plan for your housing.

Back to top.

Can I sign up for a room with a new student?

Yes. Instead of choosing a room you can select to be assigned by Residence Life and Housing (answer yes to questions 4 and 5) and indicate the first and last name of the student you want to live with on question 5a on your RSP Form. You will not select a room during RSP. We will assign you with your roommate request as long as your new roommate also requests you on their Housing Preference Form. You will not be able to choose a room and be assigned with a new student — you must decide if it is more important for you to be housed with your roommate or to choose exactly where you live. Back to top.

Is the $150 Room Deposit refundable?

For continuing students moving off campus or withdrawing after the room deposit is paid, the policy is: residence life and housing must receive written notification by May 1 for full $150 refund; by July 1 for $100 refund, and by Aug. 1 for $50 refund. Starting on Aug. 2 there is no refund of the $150 room deposit. Students with waivers will be billed the amounts listed above based on the date they notify residence life and housing that they are moving off campus. Back to top.

Is there a room deposit waiver?

Student staff members, EOP students and C.U.R.E. students will receive a room deposit waiver that delays your payment of the $150. Residence Life and Housing staff will submit your name as to Student Accounts to indicate you "paid" your deposit. You will then be billed for the deposit. Back to top.

What if I can't pay my deposit?

Visit Financial Aid to review your options.

Where can I live?

Residence life and housing offers many different styles of living. View all of your options.

Back to top.

Why is there is not a suite or apartment available for me to select?

The size of your group impacts the available rooms for you to choose. It is possible there are no longer any full suites, quads or apartments available for you to select as an entire group. First, try selecting from another selection process that you are eligible for, if applicable. Otherwise, split your group into subgroups to assign your group- this means you can assign your group near each other, but not in a suite. Back to top.