Reporting Options

If this is an EMERGENCY situation, CALL 911 or contact the University Police Department at 607-753-2111.

If you have experienced discrimination based on sex or gender, sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence or stalking there are several ways that you can report to our office.

Note: If you report to a responsible employee including, but not limited to University Police, Residence Life, Professors, and most other employees of SUNY Cortland via phone, email, or in person communication, information will be forwarded to the Title IX Office.

Medical Amnesty Policy

SUNY Cortland recognizes that students may be hesitant to report cases of sexual or interpersonal violence, particularly cases associated with the use of drugs and/or alcohol. SUNY Cortland's Amnesty Policy is defined per NYS Education Law 129-B and is consistent among all higher education institutions in New York State.

The Policy for Alcohol and/or Drug Use Amnesty in Sexual and Interpersonal Violence Cases states that the health and safety of every student at the State University of New York and its State-operated and community colleges is of utmost importance. SUNY Cortland recognizes that students who have been drinking and/or using drugs (whether such use is voluntary or involuntary) at the time that violence, including but not limited to domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault occurs may be hesitant to report such incidents due to fear of potential consequences for their own conduct. SUNY Cortland strongly encourages students to report incidents of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault to institution officials. A bystander acting in good faith or a reporting individual acting in good faith that discloses any incident of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault to SUNY Cortland officials or law enforcement will not be subject to SUNY Cortland's code of conduct action for violations of alcohol and/or drug use policies occurring at or near the time of the commission of the domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault.

Where Can I Disclose Confidentially?

Confidentiality may be offered by an individual who is not required by the university to disclose information. Below are a list of confidential resources:

  • Licensed professional counselors. Including the SUNY Cortland Counseling Centerwho can be reached at 607-753-4728
  • Licensed medical professionals. Including the SUNY Cortland Student Health Service who can be reached at 607-753-4811 
  • Pastoral counselors who are ordained clergy
  • Aid to Victims of Violence are a confidential Cortland community resource that provides comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and other crimes. They are located at 14 Clayton Avenue, Cortland, NY (YWCA). 
    • AVV has a 24/7 local crisis hotline which can be reached by calling 607-756-6363. All services from AVV are free.
    • AVV can provide SUNY Cortland students with an advocate. Advocates can help students by providing referrals and by providing a free forensic rape exam (commonly referred to as a rape kit). Advocates can also meet students on campus and accompany them at the hospital.