Social Philosophy Major
Cultivate the capacities and appetite for self-expression and reflection, for debate and exchange of ideas, for reflecting on and puzzling over problems of living, being human and being part of a community. With our unique program in social philosophy — one of the only two in the SUNY system, you will graduate with distinctive skills that employers desire from a college graduate.
- Government and Public Service
- Social Advocacy and Activism
- Human Services
4+1 Opportunity in Education
You can earn a B.A. in social philosophy and M.S.T. in childhood education in five years through SUNY Cortland’s unique accelerated track.
You’ll be certified to teach grades 1 to 6, gaining strong foundational knowledge in philosophy as well as a minor content area that may include English, history, mathematics or the sciences. Learn more about the Loading...
What Will I Learn?
- How to think critically, solve problems, articulate ideas and read and write effectively.
- Preparation for the tasks of citizenship, participation in political and community affairs and for responsible and intelligent engagement in public life.
- One of only two majors in social philosophy in the SUNY system
- Close interaction with faculty
- Prepares you to explore options for graduate study
- Center for Ethics, Peace and Social Justice
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities such as internships, study abroad, and independent work with teachers.
Office: Old Main, Room 138
- Philosophy majors score higher than all other majors in the Law School Admissions Tests (LSAT)
- Philosophy majors are more successful at obtaining a job than the average liberal arts students after graduation.
- Whatever your passion, a degree in social philosophy has the potential to open doors in many and varied arenas.
Type of Degree
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Credit Hours: 120
We recognize excellence in our students with awards and scholarships.
- Outstanding Achievement in Social Philosophy
- Best Paper in Ethics Award