Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and History (7-12) Major
So you think you want to be a social studies teacher? We’re here to help. Just for you, we’ve designed a program rich in the subjects you love. This way you’ll further your passion for history while preparing to share it with the world.
- Teaching social studies (grades 7-12)
- Educational researcher, curriculum specialist, educational material developer
- Museums and heritage tourism
- Government and non-profit agencies and organizations
Be in Demand
- Our grads know their stuff. They all majored in a content area, which means that there is a depth to their knowledge, and it shows.
- Preparation, preparation, preparation. Our grads went through a rigorous sequence of courses with lots of opportunities to practice the craft.
- To become the best, our grads worked with the best. The faculty and cooperating teachers create supportive, challenging and exciting experiences for learning and growing.
- Preparation for teacher certification
- History Club
- Study abroad programs
- History honors society
- Individualized research projects
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities.
Plan movie nights, community events and field trips to historic sites.
Phi Alpha Theta, National History Honor Society
Office: Old Main, Room 212C
SUNY Cortland has the largest teacher education program in the Northeastern United States and the ninth largest in the country.
Type of Degree
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Credit Hours: 126
We recognize excellence in our students with awards and scholarships.
- Frank A. Burdick Award for Outstanding Student Teaching
- Certificate of Excellence in Student Teaching