AED 308 and AED 341 (which must be taken concurrently) constitute the first set of pedagogy courses in the program. Students who have not already done so should also take ENG 307 and ENG 374. Together, these courses mark the beginning of your first professional semester. In order to determine your readiness, please first consider whether or not you meet the following criteria:
- Your current overall GPA is 2.75.
- You have completed ALL of the following course work: Three out of the four survey courses (ENG 325, 326, 355, 356), all but one or two of your GE courses, your foreign language requirement, and PSY 101 and HLH 110 or 199.
- You have completed at least 56 of the credit hours required in the AEN program (i.e. NOT elective courses). The more ENG courses you have completed the better.
If you say “no” to any of the above, you may not be eligible for the first professional semester and should speak with your academic advisor about your eligibility.
If the answer is yes, then you will take the following steps to register for these three courses:
- Agree with your advisor on appropriate classes, remembering that the following courses MUST be completed before you can student teach: ENG 290, 325, 326, 355, 356, 374, 433, PSY 101, PSY 232, and HLH 110 or 199. Because the first professional semester is quite rigorous and because you may need extra hours several times a week for the commute to your field placement, we do not recommend that any student register for more than fifteen credits.
- Leave at least two, and preferably three, three-hour blocks of free time in to your schedule between 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. for the field placement hours attached to AED 308; 8-11 MWF is ideal.
- Go to the Field Experience and School Partnerships Office (Room 1105 Education Building) and fill out a data sheet indicating your availability and preferences for field placement. You must complete this step in order to secure your fieldwork placement for the fall semester.
- Complete the Application to a Teacher Education Program and bring a completed copy to the English Office (112 Old Main. The English Department secretaries will “lift the flag,” enabling you to register for the co-requisite courses: AED 308 and 341).
- WEB register. It is your responsibility to let the Field Experience and School Partnerships (FESP) office know of any subsequent changes in availability for AED 309. Failure to notify FESP of such changes may result in significant delays in receiving a placement.
NOTE: Students who are registered for AED 308 and 341 but whose GPA falls below 2.75 at the end of the spring semester will be automatically removed from the courses and must register for other courses via Web Registration.