2016 Welcome Week: Aug. 26 - Sept. 8
Friday, Aug. 26
- 7 p.m. Residence Hall Welcome, Residence Hall Main Lounges Mandatory for on-campus residents
- 8 p.m. Reunion with your Summer Orientation Assistant, Bishop and Shea Quad. (Rain site Moffett Gymnasium)
- 9 p.m. Pop Culture Clash Game Show, Corey Union Function Room. Test your pop culture knowledge for a chance to win a $250 cash prize. Presented by Student Activities Board.
Saturday, Aug. 27
- 1 and 3 p.m. Hero Workshop: A Guide to Prevention, Corey Union Function Room. Presentation by Kristen Parks from Green Dot etc.
- 5-8 p.m. Welcome Picnic, Bishop/Shea Quad
- 9 p.m. Elliot Zimet, Illusionist, Corey Union Function Room. A semi-finalist on America's Got Talent, Elliot's mind-blowing magic features a blend of illusion, mentalism, humor and audience interaction. Presented by Cortland Nites.
Sunday, Aug. 28
- 10 a.m. Brunch Meet and Greet, Interfaith Center. Join us for a meet and greet over brunch at a place where we celebrate diversity of faith/non-faith, culture, sexual orientation and ethnicity.
- 1 p.m. Transfer Takeoff, Newmark Pavilion. Get to know other new transfers and meet the Transfer Buddies. Now is the time to get your questions answered before classes start. (Rain site: Sperry Lobby)
- 2 p.m. Class Finding Tours: Transfer students meet at Newmark Pavilion near the Library; First-year students meet at Corey Union steps. Bring your class schedule and take a guided tour of the academic buildings. Learn where to go before the first day. (Rain site: Sperry Lobby)
- 4 p.m. Academic Convocation, Park Center Alumni Ice Arena. Your official welcome to the academic community at Cortland. A time honored event for all new students to attend. *Mandatory for all new SUNY Cortland students.
- 7 p.m. Residence Hall Welcome, Residence Hall Main Lounge. Mandatory for on-campus residents.
- 8 p.m. Sunday Mass, O'Heron Newman Center. (Every Sunday during the academic year)
Monday, Aug. 29 - Classes Begin
- 5:30 p.m. Welcome BBQ, O'Heron Newman Center. Free and everyone is welcome.
Wednesday, Aug. 31
- 12 p.m. Interfaith Chapel, Interfaith Center.
- 3 p.m. Student Employment and Volunteer Fair, Corey Union Function Lounge.
- 7 p.m. Wellness Wednesday Program: "Sampler of Healthy Self-Care Techniques", Corey Union Function Room. Experience yoga, mindfulness, reiki and other self-care techniques in an interactive demonstration.
Thursday, Sept. 1
- 4:30 p.m. Thursday Dinner, Interfaith Center. Every Thursday during the academic year.
- 7:30 p.m. Men's Soccer vs. Elmira College, Stadium Complex Red Field
Friday, Sept. 2 - Red Dragon Pride Day
- 1 p.m. Ice Cream Social and 1:40 p.m. Pride Day Photo, Corey Union Steps. Join the excitement! Show your SUNY Cortland pride and wear red and white! Wear your Red Dragon attire to show support for SUNY Cortland during the national College Colors Day.
- 3 p.m. Women's Volleyball vs. Misercordia, Park Center Corey Gymnasium.
- 4 p.m. New Transfer Welcome BBQ, Bishop and Shea Quad. Meet other transfers while enjoying a free BBQ dinner, games, prizes and fun.
- 5 p.m. Women's Volleyball vs. Rochester, Park Center Corey Gymnasium.
- 6 p.m. Outdoor Pursuits Meet and Greet, Outdoor Pursuits Center, Student Life Center. Learn about our workshops and trips while enjoying an outdoor movie, popcorn and s'mores.
- 7 p.m. Mini Golf at Shipwreck Golf, Cortland. Pick up your free ticket from 7-8 p.m. at the Corey Union Information Desk. Buses depart from Corey Union at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. Presented by Cortland Nites.
Saturday, Sept. 3
- 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Dayhike at Fillmore Glen State Park. Meet in the Outdoor Pursuits Center, Student Life Center. Fillmore's hiking trails offer spectacular views, five waterfalls and a botanically rich glen. Entrance fee and transportation is provided free of charge.
- 11 a.m. Women's Volleyball vs. Stockton, Park Center Corey Gymnasium.
- 4 p.m. Women's Volleyball vs. Alfred, Park Center Corey Gymnasium.
Sunday, Sept. 4
- 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Dayhike at Fillmore Glen State Park. Meet in the Outdoor Pursuits Center, Student Life Center.
- 1 p.m. Field Hockey vs. Elmira, Stadium Complex White Field.
- 5 p.m. Bus trip to the New York State Fair, Syracuse. Bus departs from Corey Union. →Free general admission tickets to the fair are available! Stop by Campus Activities, Corey Union, Room 406, Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to get your ticket←
Monday, Sept. 5 - Labor Day
- Noon S.A.B. Carnival and Student Club Fair, Corey Union Steps.
- 5:30 p.m. Mac and Cheese Mondays, O'Heron Newman Center. Every Monday during the semester enjoy free homemade macaroni and cheese.
Tuesday, Sept. 6
- 7 p.m. Disney College Program Information Session, VanHoesen Hall, Room B-5.
- 7 p.m. Open Mic Night, Corey Union Exhibition Lounge. Meet new friends while enjoying a night of music, entertainment, refreshments and an opportunity for expression. All talents welcome!
Wednesday, Sept. 7
- 12-3 p.m. Wellness Wednesday Program: "Major Key Alert! Your Vote Matters", Student Life Center. Register to vote, learn about the candidates and join us for some fun.
- 8 p.m. Comedian Aarona Lopez, Corey Union Function Room. Aarona began stand-up comedy in 2006 and was recently selected to be a "New Face" on Jamie Foxx's Laffapalooza Comedy Festival. She is also a new cast member of MTV2's Nick Cannon Presents Wild and Out. Sponsored by the Student Activities Board.
Thursday, Sept. 8
- 4:30 p.m. Thursday Dinner, Interfaith Center.
- 8 p.m. Know the Code, Corey Union Function Room. What you don't know CAN hurt you. Learn about the Code of Student Conduct and have your questions answered. Prize drawings.
All Welcome Week events are free of charge thanks to the following sponsors: Advisement and Transition, Alumni Engagement, ASC, Campus Activities and Corey Union, Career Services, Health Promotions, Interfaith Center, It;s On Us Action Team, O'Heron Newman Center, Recreational Sports, Residence Life and Housing, Student Activities Board and Student Conduct Office.
Should you need more information about Welcome Week, please call Campus Activities at 607-753-5574.