Permission to Transfer Credit Process

Cortland undergraduate students can complete certain courses at another college and transfer credit back to meet degree requirements.  However, once you have enrolled and begun classes at SUNY Cortland, you must follow the steps of the permission to transfer process and seek approval prior to enrolling in courses at another college.  Review frequently asked questions about the process.

Students interested in summer or winter courses should explore SUNY Cortland's offerings.  Cortland offers a variety of courses during summer and winter session both on campus and on-line.  Financial aid may also be available for Cortland courses.  Typically aid is not available for courses at another institution for matriculated Cortland students. 

Why Prior Permission is Necessary

  • Ensures the course is equivalent so it will transfer back as the Cortland course you need.
  • Ensures that it is the right course for you to make degree progress at Cortland.
  • Verifies that you are not student teaching or enrolled in fieldwork or practicum work that would not allow course enrollment at the same time.
  • Verifies that you follow all SUNY Cortland transfer policies, such as residency and credit limits.
  • Ensures you do not expend time, effort, and money unnecessarily.

  Transfer Credit Policies and the Permission Process

  • Cortland reserves the right to deny transfer credit that has not been pre-approved on a Permission to Transfer Credit from Another Institution Form.
  • Only courses with a grade of C- or better will transfer.
    Note:  Even if you have a completed associate's degree and transferred courses with D grades at initial matriculation to Cortland, grades of C- or better are required through this process. 
  • Transfer courses do not factor into your Cortland GPA.
  • You cannot enroll in a course at another institution while enrolled in student teaching and certain practicums or fieldwork.
  • Departments may require that specific courses within the curriculum must be taken and completed at SUNY Cortland.
  • A maximum of 64 transfer credits from a two-year institution, and a maximum combination from two- and four-year institutions of 75-81 (depending on the major) may be applied to a Cortland degree program. 
  • Fourty-five (45) credit hours of course work must be completed in residence at Cortland, including half of a student's major, minor and/or concentration courses. 
  • You cannot receive transfer credit for a course you have already received credit for at Cortland.
  • You can request permission for a maximum of:
    • 5 credits during winter session
    • 14 credits total during summer session; no more than 7 credits per session.
    • 18 credits total for spring or fall, including your registered Cortland courses. Requests to enroll in more than 18 credits between Cortland and the other institution is an overload and will require associate dean approval.

SUNY Cross Registration

For fall and spring semesters, if you are an undergraduate registered for at least twelve (12) credits at Cortland, you may be eligible to register at another SUNY institution for up to six (6) credits through SUNY Cross Registration without incurring additional tuition costs.  Approval for cross-registration is limited and is intended to resolve course conflicts that delay program completion.  The Associate Deans are the final campus approval for cross-registration.

Transfer Credit and Retake Policy

If you choose to retake a course at another institution that you failed (grade of E) at SUNY Cortland, you are not eligible for Cortland's grading policy in regards to retake.  The course from the other institution may transfer to meet the degree requirement; however, the failing grade will remain calculated in your cumulative GPA. 

Advisement and Transition
Memorial Library
Room A-111
Phone: 607-753-4726
Fax: 607-753-5593
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.