myRedDragon is your springboard to nearly all of SUNY Cortland's online tools and resources. Sign in to myRedDragon to gain access to your college Email account, online courses in Blackboard, library research databases and services, your grades, course registration and more.
Bringing a Computer to College?
Most students find having their own computer convenient and useful. If you do plan to bring a computer with you to campus you should consider the following:
- Windows or Mac?
Windows and Macs are both popularly used on campus and supported by the college Help Center. It is recommended that your computer is running a current and updated operating system: Windows 10 for Windows and Mac OS X High Sierra (OS X 10.13) or newer for Mac.
- Suggested Computer Specifications
In general, your computer should have a minimum of 4 GB RAM and at least 200 GB of free storage space on a hard drive for basic computing tasks. If you plan to perform more specific and intensive work such as graphic design or video production you will likely need a more robust computer and should consult with your program's department for a recommendation.
Most modern operating systems (Windows 10 or Mac OS El Capitan) have built-in protections.
- Laptop or desktop?
Laptops are more popular but choose the computer that suits you and your needs best.
- What about a Chromebook or different operating system?
While these computers are not supported by the college they are allowed on the network. If you plan to use the device on the wireless network, make sure it can support WPA-2 Enterprise wireless networking. There will be minimal support in using these devices. many students report issues connecting to the network. Our recommendation is to bring a machine running Windows or Mac OS.
- Tablets and Other Devices
Network access is available for most tablets, smartphones and mobile devices. Be sure to update your device regularly for better performance and security.
- What about printing?
SUNY Cortland has 12 WEPA print kiosks across campus. WEPA is a cloud-based printing service, you can access your print job at any kiosk.
- If You Need a Laptop
Financially disadvantaged students can apply for consideration for a long term laptop loan from the college. Students eligible for a Pell Grant with a FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 can apply for the laptop loan.
More About Bringing Your Own Device
Software for Students
Office 365 For Students
Microsoft Office 365 is a suite of productivity software delivered and accessed over the internet. The suite includes common desktop applications including Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, OneDrive and Skype for Business. Current SUNY Cortland students can get Office 365 for free.
Get Office 365
As a current SUNY Cortland student, you are eligible to purchase educationally priced software on a variety of products at a significant discount.
Shop Educationally Priced Software
Technology in the Residence Halls
- Cable: All residence hall rooms and West Campus Apartments are wired for cable television. The cost of this service is included in the room rate. Note: We recommend that you bring a TV no larger than 32”. Bring a television cable (coaxial) cord, or you can purchase one at the College Store.
- Campus Internet: All residence halls have both wired and wireless capabilities. A base Internet service is provided in each room per student. Students may purchase upgrades for their Internet service through GIG Telecom at an additional cost per semester. Contact GIG Telecom at 1-888-970-1180 for network service information. Computer routers are not permitted on campus.
- Computer Information: There are two Internet outlets provided in each standard double room and three in a tripled room.
- Telephone/Voicemail: For information regarding how to sign up for a paid phone plan on campus, contact GIG Telecom at 1-888-970-1180.
Living Off Campus
If you are living off-campus Internet and Cable options vary by the landlord. Most will offer broadband and Internet through Spectrum. You should contact your landlord for specifics.