SUNY Cortland will hold several events to observe Latine History Month, also known at National Hispanic Heritage Month, from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.
The occasion was first federally celebrated in 1968 and was expanded into a month-long celebration in 1988. Sept. 15 is a significant date as the anniversary of independence for countries including Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua.
For more information, contact event organizers AnnaMaria Omilanowicz, director of the Multicultural Life and Diversity Office, or Bekeh Ukelina, acting coordinator of Latinx and Latin American Studies.
Some 2022 Latine History Month events have already taken place, including Un Verano Sin Ti Karaoke on Sept. 20 and Chips and Salsa on Sept. 22. The following events are planned:
- Tuesday, Sept. 27: Sip and Paint your Flag, Corey Union Voice Office, 6 to 8 p.m. Hosted by La Familia Latina, Black Student Union and Know Your Roots.
- Monday, Oct. 3: (Re)Constructing Blackness: Afro-Mexican Racial Formation Across Borders, Corey Union Fireplace Lounge, 3 to 5 p.m. Presented by Roberto Rincon, assistant professor of Africana and Latinx Studies, SUNY Oneonta.
- Monday, Oct. 3: Gender Roles, Corey Union, Room 209, 7:30 p.m. Hosted by La Familia Latina and Men of Value and Excellence.
- Thursday, Oct. 6: Sandwich Seminar, Puerto Rico – United States Relationship, Old Main Colloquium, noon to 1 p.m. Presented by Lorraine Lopez-Janove, chief diversity and inclusion officer.
- Monday, Oct. 10: Mi Gente Happy Hour, Corey Union steps, 3 to 5 p.m. Hosted by Ritmo Latino and La Familia Latina. Rain location, Corey Union Exhibition Lounge.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11: Homophobia in the Black and Latino Communities, Corey Union Fireplace Lounge, 6 p.m. Hosted by La Familia Latina, Black Student Union and PRIDE.
- Wednesday, Oct. 12: Letters to My Son, Lastenia Larriva de Llona, Corey Union Fireplace Lounge, 5 to 6 p.m. Presented by Odalis Patricia Hidalgo, instructor, Modern Languages Department.
- Thursday, Oct. 13: Sandwich Seminar: Latin Jazz and the Big Bands, Corey Union, Room 209, noon to 1 p.m. Presented by Lewis Rosengarten, director of the Educational Opportunity Program.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19: Celebrating Latine History Month podcast, online via Soundcloud. Hosted by La Familia Latina, the Multicultural Life and Diversity Office and Counseling and Wellness Services.