Adolescence Education: Spanish (7-12) Major
Learn how to teach the Spanish language to students of various ages. In addition to taking classes in Spanish language, literature and culture, you’ll study foreign language teaching methods and educational psychology. You’ll develop multilingual communicative skills for a wide range of purposes, develop language skills, cultural awareness and the pedagogical background necessary to teach Spanish in grades 7-12 in New York state.
- Spanish in the elementary school when you take the K-6 extension class
- Middle school teacher
- High school teacher
What Will I Learn?
Most of your credit hours will be focused on Spanish, but you will also take courses in
- Adolescence education
- Students with disabilities
- Study abroad
- Internship opportunities
- Language clubs
- Foreign language learning center
- Foreign Language Early Start (FLES) methods course for K-6 certification extension
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities. Tutoring students in levels lower than yours solidifies your own understanding.
- Caribbean Student Association (CSA)
- International Awareness Club
- La Familia Latina
- Spanish Club
- Education Club
Sigma Delta Pi, National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society
Office: Old Main, Room 228-B
Cortland was home to the first study abroad program within SUNY in the early 1960s.
Type of Degree
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Credit Hours: 120
SUNY Cortland recognizes excellence in its students with awards and scholarships.
- Award for Excellence in Spanish