Fitness Development/Strength and Conditioning
If you want to pursue a career in a health or fitness setting, you’ll need a theoretical and practical knowledge base to meet your goals. A concentrated course program provides essential theoretical information. You’ll apply this knowledge through an internship experience in exercise, wellness, health promotion, corporate fitness, cardiac rehabilitation, commercial fitness or other related areas.
Please note that this academic program will undergo a name change during the 2023-24 academic year, from fitness development to strength and conditioning for human performance.
- Corporate wellness specialist
- Community wellness program director
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Worksite fitness/wellness center director
- Health coach/personal trainer
- Cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation
- Chiropractic medicine
Scores of students attend a powerlifting meet in the Student Life Center.
What will I learn?
- You’ll be in a flexible, broad-based program that combines major courses with a number of electives.
- Courses emphasize current research as well as its practical application.
- You’ll take core courses in exercise science along with classes in other disciplines such as:
- Physical education
- Social sciences
- Applied sciences
- Internship for your degree
- Work with faculty and your colleagues on research studies
- Gain hands-on experience in the Student Life Center, the university’s state-of-the-art recreation building
- Work with Center for Obesity Research and Education (C.O.R.E.)
- Work with a faculty or staff member as your client
- Study abroad in England, Germany and Australia
- Recognized program by the National Strength and Conditioning Association for educational development in personal training and strength and conditioning careers
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities:
- Healthy Now Teen Program
- Practicum experiences
- Research projects with faculty
- Participation in service-learning opportunities in the community