Public Administration and Public Policy Major
Who doesn’t love a little challenge? Make problem solving your specialty by learning to grapple with some of society’s most urgent issues such as crime, health care and the quality of the air we breathe. With our distinguished staff and awesome student clubs, you will be able to learn various methods for studying proposed solutions to public problems as well as studying how administrators enact policy at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Press secretary
- Government official
- Policy researcher
What Will I Learn?
- Engage in a core curriculum covering the basics of U.S. and world politics, research techniques and political theory.
- Explore the different fields of political science through upper-division course work.
- Complete a capstone course either through a seminar or internship experience.
- Advance to an M.P.A. at Binghamton University – by special arrangement with BU’s Public Administration Department
- Campus Practicum Experience such as participation in the Student Conduct Board or Student Government Association
- Distinguished faculty eager to help you excel
- Local and distant internships in Washington, Albany, London and Belize
- International opportunities in Europe with the Model European Union, or study abroad with the British or Irish parliaments
Main office: Old Main, Room 207
- Our graduates have gone on to study law at schools as Cornell and George Washington University.
Type of Degree
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
SUNY Cortland recognizes excellence in its students with awards and scholarships.
- Pi Sigma Alpha Senior Award for Best Portfolio
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in Law and Justice
- Pi Sigma Alpha Junior Award for Best Portfolio
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in Public Administration and Public Policy
- Pi Sigma Alpha Award for Best Paper
- William Rogers Memorial Award for Excellence in Political Science
- Political Science
- Business Economics
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Political Science (7-12)
- Pi Sigma Alpha