Before they can run, students must learn how to walk. And before they can understand difficult content for a Regents-level course, students need to know how to read and write.
Reading, writing, and effective communication apply to every single discipline. Literacy isn’t just a field for reading specialists; it’s a marketable teaching skill, one that’s incredibly useful in helping students decipher tests.
Literacy at SUNY Cortland
- The M.S.Ed. program leads to NYS certification as a literacy specialist B-12.
- Coursework is delivered fully online with emphasis placed on personal relationships with faculty members and virtual field experiences embedded within coursework.
- Online coursework is mainly asynchronous, though collaborative meetings with professors and peers still take place.
- Working teachers and full-time employees can study at a part-time pace that supports a work-life balance.
- Full-time students can earn both certifications in one calendar year.
Our Literacy Department prides itself on the personal approach faculty members take with graduate students. We place a special emphasis on preparing teachers to work with children of all reading and writing abilities.
This department has not added any clubs or organizations. Please check back at a later time.