One of the best ways to get the most from academic advisement is to have a clear understanding of the responsibilities of both advisor and advisee. Below are some fundamental guidelines to use as you seek advisement assistance.
- To recognize that the student is ultimately responsible for knowing and fulfilling all degree requirements. The student is also responsible for being aware of and meeting academic deadlines and financial obligations.
- To commit a reasonable amount of time both on his/her own and with the academic advisor, planning and implementing the academic program.
- To initiate contact with the academic advisor and to formulate, in consultation with the academic advisor, an academic program consistent with the student's interests and plans for the future. The student is responsible for reading the department advisement manual (where available), the College Catalog, and other college/department advisement materials. The student will come to scheduled advisement meetings with the necessary registration materials, suggestions for courses to be completed, and a plan for meeting graduation requirements.
- To seek out the advisor or department chairperson for assistance in negotiating difficulties or changes in academic program plans.
- To work with each student advisee to achieve an academic program consistent with the student's academic preparation, interests, and plans for the future (to the extent that the student is able to articulate his/her interests and plans).
- To be familiar with College and departmental requirements as well as know about campus resources (e.g. Counseling Center, Academic Support and Achievement Program, Career Services, Student Government Association, Tutoring Services)
- To commit a reasonable amount of time assisting the student in examining options and identifying College resources.
- To schedule sufficient time in the office during critical periods such as pre-registration and drop/add to assist with academic advisement problems of students. At other times, advisors are expected to be available by appointment and during regularly scheduled office hours to meet with students for academic advisement.