If you aspire to combine a passion for sports with a well-developed understanding of the complexities of the business enterprise, a sport management major will provide you with the formal educational foundation and the practical experiences necessary in this extremely competitive industry.
- Sport marketing director
- Director of media relations
- Event/venue manager — Olympic Games
- Regional sales manager — sport product company
- Athlete representation/agent
- Video coordinator
- Ticket sales manager
What Will I Learn?
- You will follow a theory-to-practice model of learning where you complete more than 120 hours of field experience prior to the required senior internship.
- Core courses provide a strong foundation in business.
- Elective courses within the major allow you to discover your niche while meeting your personal learning objectives.
Graduate Program Options
When you fall in love with our campus and never want to leave, we make it easy for you to continue your education by offering three graduate programs in sport management:
- A master of science in sport management (either on campus or online)
- A master of science in international sport management
- Active promotion of diversity and social justice
- A focus on information technology and international sport
- Sport Media and Technology Learning Center
- The national training centers for sport-specific information technologies such as Dartfish
"Cortland was phenomenal preparation for me. My professors were extremely influential, always urging me to get experience on my résumé. It all comes down to basics, and those basics I learned at Cortland."
— Mike Alperstein '04, Assistant Director, Facility Operations and Events, MetLife Stadium
College is more than a classroom. Enhance your experience with extracurricular opportunities:
Sport Management Club
The club runs major events each academic year:
- Wingate Memorial Golf Tournament in September
- Volunteer at New York City marathon in November
- Lose The Shoes barefoot soccer tournament in April
- Annual Sport Management Awards Ceremony in April
- Dragon Dash 5K in April