As one of the largest departments on campus, English provides students many options for literary and cultural study while preserving small class sizes.
Our award-winning faculty offer a variety of courses in literature, professional writing, and adolescence education, covering topics such as Shakespeare, world literature, rhetoric, new media, and 21st century literacies.
Students actively participate in the process of reading and writing and study how words work: how they can be shaped into literary art, organized into a lesson plan, or developed into distinct genres, from poetry to a resume; how we use them to fashion our understanding of ourselves and our place in local, national, and global communities.
Upon graduation, a SUNY Cortland English major is not only in demand by creative and professional institutions, but also well prepared for graduate school, law school, and careers in teaching, journalism, new media, communications and business.
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Cortland 23rd in Final Directors' Cup Standings June 10, 2014
- Joe Cardarelli Named Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach June 10, 2014
- Commission Releases Cortaca Report June 06, 2014
- Carlos Medina '78 Leads SUNY Diversity Efforts May 22, 2014
- Alumni Association Names Distinguished Alumni May 21, 2014
- Volunteer Recruitment Workshop Planned May 21, 2014
- 5K Run/Walk Benefits Child Care Center May 21, 2014
- EMS Scholarship Named for Marley Barduhn May 21, 2014
- Upper Campus Operates on Partial Power May 21, 2014
- Professor’s Final Gift Continues Legacy May 13, 2014
- Sharon Steadman Earns Rozanne Brooks Award May 13, 2014
- Interim Finance and Management Staff Named May 13, 2014
- Stadium Complex to Host Historic Commencement May 13, 2014
- Fulbright Recipient is Bound for Ukraine May 13, 2014
- Adolescence Education: English (7-12) [AEN]
- English [ENG]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Language and Literature [ENLL]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Literature [ENL]
- English: Minor with an Emphasis in Literature and Writing [ENLW]
- Professional Writing [PWRT]
- Professional Writing Minor [PWRT]
English Club: Check out the club on Facebook: English Club@SUNY Cortland!
Where students at Cortland who love teaching English come together!
engaging in educational activities.Read More About English Department Clubs