The Cortland College Foundation was founded in 1948. It was first known as the Cortland State Teachers College Student Welfare Association, Inc. Its original purpose was to provide for the general welfare of Cortland students. Today, as it has done continuously since 1948, the Cortland College Foundation serves as the official gift-receiving agency for SUNY Cortland.
The foundation is recognized as a 501(c) 3 non-profit corporation by the State of New York and the Internal Revenue Service. The foundation's board of directors have a fiduciary responsibility to oversee the university's fund-raising program and to guide the investment of current and endowed funds for the benefit of SUNY Cortland, its students, faculty and staff.
The foundation staff work creatively to develop opportunities for alumni, parents, friends, corporations and foundations to provide financial support to help advance the mission of SUNY Cortland.