- Where are the magazines and/or journals located?
- How do I check out a book, or video? Can I check out magazines?
- How should I pay a fine?
- Does the library purchase textbooks?
- How do I renew a book?
- How can I get a book or article you don't have from another library?
- How do I cite a book? an article? a webpage?
- When is the library open?
- Where is the reference desk located? When is a Librarian there?
- Where is Lost and Found? How long are items kept there?
- Where can I find current newspapers and magazines?
- How do I get a student job at the library?
- What if I have more questions?
Most magazines and journals are located on the North third floor. (Come up to the second floor and walk past the new book display to the stairs.) The most current issues located in the glassed room, while the older issues are bound together and located on shelves. Some magazines and journals, often those dealing with teaching are located in the TMC, which is on the first floor. Please consult the journals list on the myRedDragon library tab to determine the location of a specific journal or magazine.
Borrowing Information is availible on the library's borrowing policy page. Borrowing privileges are extended to the following:
- Students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of SUNY Cortland -- SUNYCard required.
- Alternative Cortland High School students -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of SUNYCard + driver's license.
- Open Access -- students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of other SUNY/CUNY colleges -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of SUNYCard + driver's license.
- Community Borrowers -- a resident's card will be issued upon presentation of a driver's license showing current local address or a driver's license + proof of current local address.
- residents of Cortland, Tompkins, Onondaga, Madison, Chenango, Broome, Tioga, Cayuga Counties who are 16 years or older.
- Cortland, DeRuyter, Dryden, Homer, McGraw, and Moravia High School students
Ciriculating videos are loaned for 7 days to students. Faculty and staff are loaned ciriculating videos for 3 weeks.
Non-ciriculating videos go out to faculty for three weeks. Students must use non-ciriculating videos "in-house" for a 2 hour loan period. If needed for a class special permission may be granted. For more Video Loan information see the Video Loan Policy page.
Periodicals may not be checked out to students. Faculty may borrow periodicals on "special loan."
To pay a library fine, the IRSC front counter will accept cash, check or money order. You can pay with a credit card in person at the Bursars office, or mail a check to SUNY Cortland Memorial Library, IRSC, P.O. Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.
Given the expense and frequent changes in course requirements, the library does not purchase textbooks. We encourage faculty to donate copies of textbooks to us, or to put them on reserve at the IRSC desk.
Books that you have checked out from Memorial Library may be renewed online. Students, faculty and staff can log into their library account via the link to the lower left of the library tab, using their netID and password. Community borrowers should use this link, and will need the 14-digit number on their blue ID card and the last 4 numbers of their phone number to log in. Books may also be renewed by calling the IRSC at (607) 753-2500.
Materials that Memorial Library does not have in its collection may be requested via interlibrary loan from another institution. This is a service for both students and faculty, and most items can be obtained for no cost to you. See Interlibrary Loan for more information.
Information for citing sources can be found in Memorial Libraries Reference Collection. The library owns copies of the Publication manual of the American Psychological Association [Ref. BF76.7 P83 1994], the MLA style manual and guide to scholarly publishing [Ref. PN147 G444 1998], and the The Chicago manual of style [Ref. Z253 U69 1993].
Memorial Library Hours vary depending on the time of year. For the most current hours consult the hours page.
The reference desk is located on the first floor of Memorial Library. During the semester, Reference Librarians are typically available Monday through Thursday 9:00 am to 9:30 pm, Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Saturday 11 am to 5 pm, and Sunday noon to 9:30 pm.
Items that are found within the Libary are brought to the IRSC Desk on the first floor lobby. Valuble items such as jewelry and wallets are turned over to Campus Police.
Current Newspapers and magazines are located on the North third floor in Periodicals.
Are you a student that wants to work at the Library?
Memorial Library employs more than 60 students per semester; many working all four years. There are a variety of jobs and hours available including working with technology, staffing public service counters, shelving, and other tasks. We rely on our student employees to keep the library running smoothly during all hours of operation.
You can apply all year round, with the optimal time being a few weeks before the semester until just after the semester begins. To apply, click on the link below to download the form and fill it out. Anyone interested in the IRSC call center should also submit a basic resume.
Please return completed forms and resumes to Sherry Ellis at the IRSC (Information Resources Support Center) located in the library lobby. If you have any questions, contact Mrs. Ellis by email at Sherry Ellis, or at SUNY Cortland, IRSC, Memorial Library, P.O. Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.
What if I have more questions?
You can contact us to find out more.