When you explore sociology and anthropology at SUNY Cortland, you’ll immerse yourself in the study of the human condition. You’ll examine how societies and cultures are formed and how they shape and are shaped by human behavior. You’ll develop analytical, critical thinking and creative problem solving skills that are vital in any walk of life.
Classes are small, led by faculty who are eager to help you succeed. Opportunities for independent research, internships, fieldwork, study abroad and service-learning will let you put classroom theory to the test in the real world.
The list of possible career paths is long and diverse. Our graduates have gone on to successful careers as educators, social service professionals, counselors, health care providers, in law and law enforcement and in many other fields.
With his studies in criminology, involvement in the Criminology Club and membership in the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, Jon is a busy guy. So what’s one of the most valuable things he’s learned at SUNY Cortland: “Time management.”Read More About Jonathon Alvarez
- Anthropology [ANT]
- Anthropology Minor [ANT]
- Anthropology: Concentration in Americas Archaeology [ANT/AARC] or World Archaeology [ANT/WARC]
- Anthropology: Concentration in Applied Anthropology [ANT/APPL]
- Anthropology: Concentration in Ethnic Studies [ANT/ETHS]
- Archaeology Minor [ARC]
- Archaeology: Concentration in Americas Archaeology [ARC_AARC] or World Archaeology [ARC_WARC]
- Criminology [CRIM]
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Anthropology (7-12) [SST and ANT]
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Sociology (7-12) [SST and SOC]
- Social Gerontology Minor [SGRT]
- Sociology [SOC]
- Sociology Minor [SOC]
- Sociology: Concentration in Criminology [SOC/CRIM]
- Sociology: Concentration in Social Gerontology [SOC/SGRT]
The department of Sociology/Anthropology, has a Sociology/Anthropology Club and Criminology Club, as well as National Honor Society in Sociology; Alpha Kappa Delta, and a National Honor Society in Criminology; Alpha Phi Sigma. In addition, our department also presentsRead More About Sociology/Anthropology Department Clubs