Our mission is to prepare physical educators who will make a difference in their communities and the lives of their students.
Our outstanding faculty and a wide range of challenging study options are just two of the reasons why SUNY Cortland’s Physical Education Department is one of the best and most highly regarded in the nation. If you’re interested in becoming a physical education teacher, a coach or both, Cortland just may be the perfect choice.
The major encompasses courses on effective teaching and curriculum planning along with as broad a spectrum of sports and fitness activities as you can imagine. You’ll integrate physical education theory with hands-on practice utilizing a range of teaching styles as you complete 100 hours of fieldwork in addition to student teaching. A highlight of your education will be a two week camp at Raquette Lake, Cortland’s historic and stunningly beautiful wilderness retreat in the Adirondacks.
Cortland has one of the largest and most highly respected physical education teacher-education programs in the country. You’ll gain the skills, experience and credentials that pave your way to a rewarding career.
10,000 Strong. SUNY Cortland has the largest Physical Education Teacher Education program in the US and we want to keep our 10,000+ PE alumni connected and informed of what's going on with their fellow alumni, the current program, faculty, and students. Our first mission is to connect to 10% of our alumni through Facebook, LinkedIn or whatever social network. Can we do it? Yes we can...with your help! Spread the word and connect!.
Do you know any outstanding and successful Cortland PE alumni? Please email to brag about their accomplishments. If possible please forward any relevant web links and stories. Stay in touch with us on these SUNY Cortland PE Social Networking sites:
What parts of Sheena Asibey’s Cortland education have had the greatest impact? Professors that challenge her. Playing on a volleyball team that reached the NCAA tournament. Oh, and don’t overlook Chuck the Chicken.
- College Teams Finish Strong at Corporate Challenge July 22, 2014
- Jets’ Downtown Touchdown Set for Wednesday July 21, 2014
- Jets Camp Not Just for Football Fans July 18, 2014
- Alum to Perform on David Letterman Show July 09, 2014
- Alumni Reunion Set for July 11 to 13 July 01, 2014
- College Names Director of Student Conduct July 01, 2014
- College Transitions to New Electronic Mail System July 01, 2014
- Jets to Land in Cortland July 23 June 30, 2014
- Clinically Rich Approach Earns High Praise June 27, 2014
- Sorority’s Spirit Lives On, Decades After Fire June 27, 2014
- Eight Earn Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Awards June 18, 2014
- Marie Ponterio Honored by French Government June 10, 2014
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Cortland 23rd in Final Directors' Cup Standings June 10, 2014
- Joe Cardarelli Named Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach June 10, 2014
Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake
Located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains, SUNY Cortland’s educational facilities on Raquette Lake include the Antlers lodge, Kirby Camp and Huntington Memorial Camp, the only National Historic Landmark in the SUNY system. This unique learning environment is great for research activities, teacher workshops and high school classes.
- Physical Education [PEM]
- Physical Education: Concentration in Adapted Physical Education [PEM_ADPE]
- Physical Education: Concentration in Outdoor Adventure Education [PEM_OAE]
The Alliance of Physical Education Majors at SUNY Cortland promotes physical education as a vital discipline paramount to the total development of healthy individuals. APEM focuses on increasing knowledge, attitude and professionalism of the students and faculty within the major. It helps provide networks between students, state and national professional organizations, and physical education professionals in the field, provides information workshops, conferences and various other activities and programs to create a stronger community for those involved in the major and promote the goals of SUNY Cortland's Physical Education Program.Read More About Physical Education Department Clubs