A unique architectural jewel, SUNY Cortland’s Camp Huntington began as Camp Pine Knot, the first Great Camp of the Adirondacks, and the birthplace of what is now known as Adirondack style architecture.
Camp Pine Knot was built by William West Durant and sold to railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington in 1895. In 1947, Huntington’s son, Archer, and his wife, Anna, presented to the College the original 201-acre site and historical buildings in the memory of Collis P. Huntington.
|1846||William Wood and Matthew Beach first settlers at Raquette Lake.|
|1865-1871||Dr. Thomas Clark Durrant supervised construction of the Adirondack railroad (60 miles) Saratoga to North Creek.|
|1876||William West Durant's first visit to the Adirondacks|
|1877||Camp Pine Knot, first of the famous "great camps of the Adirondacks," was built by William West Durant at Pine Knot Point on Raquette Lake. The woodlands camps which Durant built, including Camp Uncas, Sagamore and Kill Kare, reflect the glory of an era when wealthy families journeyed to the Adirondacks for leisure time pursuits at luxurious enclaves.|
|1879||Travel time from New York City to Blue Mountain Lake was 26 hours. Stage coach from North Creek to Blue Mountain took approximately eight hours.|
|1882||The building now known as the "Swiss Chalet" was completed and opened as one of the main buildings at Camp Pine Knot.|
|1895||Durant sold Camp Pine Knot and its 200 acres of property to Collis P. Huntington, railroad builder and financier.|
|1900||Collis P. Huntington died Aug. 13 at Camp Pine Knot at the age of 79. Following his death, the family never returned to occupy Camp Pine Knot, which remained idle for almost 50 years.|
|1924||Archer M. Huntington, the son of Collis P. and Arabella D. Huntington, inherited Camp Pine Knot.|
|1947||Dr. Harlan "Gold" Metcalf, professor emeritus recreation and leisure studies, and Dr. Walter Thurber, professor emeritus biological sciences, discovered unused Camp Pine Knot during a canoe trip to Raquette Lake. Dr. Metcalf investigated the property and established contact with owner Archer M. Huntington, who then lived in New York City.|
|1948||On Feb. 4, an act authorizing the acceptance of certain lands in Hamilton County by the State of New York for the College was passed by the State Legislature and signed by Governor Thomas E. Dewey. On June 29, the first educational program sponsored by the College was conducted at Pine Knot. Dr. Metcalf acted as the Camp's first director.|
|1949||The final legal papers transferring Camp Pine Knot and surrounding land on Long Point to Cortland were completed and signed on Jan. 11.|
|1951||Art Howe was hired as the first full-time director at Camp Huntington.|
|1955||Archer M. Huntington died at the age of 85. Anna Hyatt Huntington, a sculptor who made the bronze bust of her husband that is displayed at the Raquette Lake Center, died in 1973 at the age of 97.|
|1961||Associate Professor of Physical Education Roland Eckard served as acting director of the Outdoor Education Center.|
|1962||George Fuge ‘49 was named the new full-time Outdoor Education Center director.|
|1963||The College expanded its Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake by purchasing a 240-acre tract which included Camp Marion on Long Point from Mrs. Wallace Yeaple.|
|1965||On Jan. 15, the College purchased from Donald Langham five acres on the west shore of Raquette Lake. Known as Antlers, the site was a long-time summer resort and provided docking facilities for embarking to Camp Huntington on Long Point.|
|1970||Hemlock Hall, a new dormitory with a 28-person capacity, was constructed on the north side of Camp Huntington.|
|1971||A group of SUNY Cortland students and faculty conducted a fund-raising campaign to preserve the former Durant family houseboat, The Barque of Pine Knot. The boat was moved off the water's edge to higher ground.|
|1979||A combination dining hall and educational laboratory/classroom building was constructed to replace aging and inadequate facilities for the growing programs serving approximately 2,000 students annually.|
A film created by Marcia Carlson and narrated by George Fuge '49
|1983||The 35th anniversary of Camp Huntington was observed. The Recreation Hall was renamed in honor of Dr. Harlan "Gold" Metcalf, professor emeritus the recreation and leisure studies department. The Raquette Lake Endowment Fund was established.
A fire in October destroyed five buildings, including three of the original structures dating back to the 1870's. Damage was estimated at nearly $500,000. Classes there were suspended.
The Cortland College Alumni Association and the College Development Foundation of Cortland initiated the Raquette Lake Rebuilding Fund to help finance construction of facilities to replace destroyed buildings.
|1984||The Dining Hall and Ice House/Cook's Cabin were rebuilt. Classes were resumed at Camp Huntington in August.|
|1985||Associate Professor of Physical Education Joe K. Pierson replaced George Fuge as director of the Outdoor Education Center.|
|1986||September 11th, Camp Pine Knot was listed on the New York State Registry of Historic Places.
November 7, Camp Pine Knot was listed on the National Regisrty of Historic Places.
The rebuilding project was finished with completion of work on the Director's Cabin, combination library and dormitory facilities, and wash rooms.
|1987||The College Council named the Dining Hall in honor of George Fuge ‘49, the classroom/laboratory in the lower level of the Dining Hall in honor of John B. Knox, the Director's Cabin in honor of Donnal V. Smith, and the Biological Sciences Library at Antlers in honor of William B. Clemens.|
|1994||Major renovation of caretaker's residence completed.|
|1995||A new water filtration plant and an emergency generator plant were constructed.|
|1996||A film entitled "The Great Camps of the Adirondacks" was produced by the Arts and Entertainment Network featuring Camp Huntington.|
|1997||Major windstorm blew 21 trees down, two of which destroyed the boat house.|
|1998||The 50th anniversary of the Outdoor Education Center was observed with a yearlong series of lectures, banquets, open houses and tours. A ceremony rededicating the Center for the next 50 years was conducted featuring a newly constructed flag pole base that holds a time capsule that is to be opened at the 100th Anniversary. Early Program articles written for the 50th Anniversary of Camp Huntington.
Ground was broken for a new classroom building that is dedicated in honor of Marcia K. Carlson, professor emerita of recreation and leisure studies.
SUNY Cortland received an award from Adirondack Architectural Heritage for 50 years of maintaining the historic integrity of Camp Pine Knot (Camp Huntington).
|1999||Renovation of The Barque of Pine Knot started in the summer.
Winter, new sewage treatment plant project started.
March 9, Jay Cummings was appointed as acting director of the Outdoor Education Centers.
Spring, Marcia Carlson Classroom started with groundwork.
|2000||August 5th, approximately 150 gathered for the dedication of the Marcia Carlson Classroom.
Renovation of the Glass Dining Room began in the fall.
October 1st, Jack Sheltmire named Center for Environmental and Outdoor Education Director.
December 13th, Camp Pine Knot was recognized as one SAVE America's Treaseures.
|2001||April the first newsletter, Raquette Lake News, completed and distributed.
In May, the local area computer completed between Antlers and Camp Huntington.
In July, The Barque restoration completed and opened to tour groups.
|2003||In May, Rhonda Jacobs was appointed assistant director for the Center for Environmental and Outdoor Education.
In summer, Kirby Camp opened for rental to alumni, faculty and staff.
|2004||Spruce Dorm renovation was completed.
August 18, Camp Pine Knot was named a National Histoic Landmark.
|2005||The Glass Dining Room was named in honor of Louise Moseley in an October ceremony.|
|2008||Old Maid's Cabin, also known as the infirmary, named in honor of Franklin Coolidge '35 in a July celebration.|
In June, Robert Rubendall named Center for Environmental and Outdoor Education Center Director.
In a July ceremony, the Trapper's Cabin was named in honor of Jack Sheltmire M'73.
Audio Walking Tour created in 2012 by Bill Hein '12