Sport Media and Technology Learning Center
|SMTLC Hours - Fall 2012
Professional Studies Building
One of the most notable and exciting aspects of the Cortland Sport Management Department is its dedication to cutting-edge information technology and digital media in the sport industry. The curricular infusion of sport-specific IT in our department, our partnerships with corporate IT leaders and our unique Sport Media and Technology Learning Center (SMTLC) are all unparalleled in the field of sport management education. Cortland sport management students receive four levels of sport-specific IT training in these courses: Introduction to Computer Applications, Information Technology in Sport, Advanced Information Technology in Sport and Applied Information Technology in Sport.
Included in the SMTLC are four state-of-the-art student computer labs and classrooms loaded with the latest hardware and software used in the sport industry. The SMTLC houses 120 computers for student use.
Pinnacle Systems Team Sports, (now called XOS) the world's largest provider of digital solutions for the sport industry, helped launch the SMTLC in 2002 with a $6.1 million gift in hardware and software. Dartfish, the world's leading producer of performance enhancing sport video training applications, established its Northeast Training Center in the SMTLC in 2005. Certification courses are currently being offered nationally to students, faculty, coaches and athletes. Cortland sport management students taking information technology courses are trained on XOS and Dartfish hardware and software and will be primed to enter into internships and/or employment with professional, Olympic and collegiate sport clients.
Examples of the integration of applied media and information technology in our curriculum include:
- digital video analysis and post production of NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA and Olympic footage using XOS hardware and software
- individual and team sport performance analysis and training using Dartfish TeamPro digital video analysis software
- video display system operation using Daktronics Venus 7000 software to run the scoreboard and ProStar video board at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex
- sport video gaming research using a NASCAR simulator and the latest video gaming systems and games from EA Sports, Sony and Microsoft
- sport-specific Web and graphic design taught by veteran Web developers using software from companies such as Macromedia and Adobe
- sport public relations writing and publication layout and design with the Cortland sports information office
- PA announcing, statistics management and game operations at SUNY Cortland athletic events
- sport videography for SUNY Cortland athletic teams and USA Women's Team Handball
SMTLC Facility Breakdown
Cortland sport management students have secured media and information technology internships and employment with companies and organizations such as ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the Buffalo Bills, the New York Jets, the Atlanta Falcons, Syracuse University, the Buffalo Sabres, the New York Rangers, the New York Islanders, NASCAR, the Untied States Olympic Training Center, the New York Yankees, the New York Mets, Ripken Baseball, Daytona International Speedway, Watkins Glen International and Pinnacle Systems Team Sports/XOS. See the internships page for more information.
For More information about SMTLC
Contact Connie Parmiter, Sport Management Department